1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Promoting Prius Prime by misleading about Prius PHV

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by john1701a, Jul 7, 2016.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You've fallen into the "more" trap.

That "few blocks" of electricity can vary dramatically based on speed, hills, temperature, and load... additional parameters I'd have to take in account... which consumers would not understand.

KISS is preferred.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, you can now see why it's going to be a challenge to move people into prime. the fud is a very high obstacle to overcome. simple commission for salespersons won't be enough.

PriusC_Commuter likes this.
  3. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you mean the back-seats of the Prime cannot be folded, or just that when folded, the surface is not flat? Sorry for not understanding you outright.

Jan

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a little ~15-cm slanty slope down to the seat tops when down, due to the battery being higher.

so we have:
    Gen4 w/ spare- Level rear floor when seats are down
    Gen 4 no spare- Not level. Rear floor about 6-cm *lower* than seat tops when down (step up)
    Prime no spare- Not level. Rear floor about 15-cm *higher* than seat tops when down (slant down)

#84 wjtracy, Jul 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
    Mister MMT and fotomoto like this.
  5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You've fallen into the "if I don't have it, it sucks trap".

This is incredibly KISS. The car learns your destinations and activates EV+ mode without the driver even knowing or doing a thing.

Zythryn likes this.
  6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That polarizing mindset is a perfect example of what we have to deal with. I never said any such thing, nor even implied it. Remember, implying things like "failure" was a common problem in the past. We're trying to move beyond that.

KISS is important, since it sets clear expectations... a vital approach for initial rollout.

If you would like to have constructive discussion, please provide some real-world data for us to work with.

7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yes please provide some real world data that EV+ doesn't work or that it isn't KISS.

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Please create a new thread for that discussion, it is clearly undermining the topic & purpose of this one. Also, buried within this thread would make it much harder to find that information later.

PriusC_Commuter likes this.
  9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Tideland Prius mentioned in another thread that the Prime's EPA cargo volume was 19.75 cu.ft. Which puts it close to the C-max Energi.
    Compare Side-by-Side

As too which is better, it depends on what the buyer needs the space for. The C-max looks to be better for groceries and luggage. The Prime will be better for bigger, bulkier stuff. Most people will find the Prime's length better than the C-max's height. Which could be said about the Insight2 vs the Prius c, and we all know how that turned out.;)
    They can be folded, but the cargo floor is higher than their backs when down.
    That's Ford's mode, correct? They also have it on the hybrids for improving fuel economy on regular trips. Toyota likely doesn't want to license it.

Mister MMT likes this.
  10. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yes. I found that it wasn't effective on the hybrid since all energy comes from gas. Running the battery SOC extra low getting home only meant running the ICE more on the next trip to get the SOC back up into the regular zone. It works much efficiently on the Energi where the low SOC is replenished from the wall and not gas.

Agreed but I was only responding to your posts which in a full circle sort of way gets back to your OP concerning dealing with misleading statements or uninformed opinions.

11. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Have to disagree here, the CMax looks to do worse with groceries and luggage too. Can't recommend enough that potential buyers physically checkout the cargo room in person first.

I was amazed that the C-max Energi cargo area is so small. Were not talking about which better uses length or depth. There is something really wrong with the published numbers and they should be ignored.

The image below is representative of my experience- that suitcase is about the size of a regular suitcase, and it's pushed back as far as possible. That lower area can't fit grocery bags or suitcases, really just loose small objects. Based on known gen 4 Prius dimensions and the raised floor height, the Prime should fit two full suitcases without blocking the rear view and another if blocking the view.

[​IMG]

Mister MMT and john1701a like this.
  12. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I thought so too but pics posted on a forum showed me otherwise. Yes, I would love more space but it's not as bad one would think. Here's weeks' worth of groceries for my family of four.:whistle:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Not trying to be competitive, but one could probably get quite a bit more groceries in the Prime. In my PiP I've done double that to similar level of fill, just sayin'.

14. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When I provided the opportunity to present some data, you chose to spin instead. That's a letdown and the same waste we had to deal with back when you owned a Volt. Why not try to help everyone move beyond that? Here's an example of what you should have posted:

Prius PHV cuts off EV depletion at 23.5% of total battery-capacity. If the engine is cold, up to 5.5% of the remaining capacity (down to 18.0%) may be used for warm-up. The purpose of consuming that electricity with a high-draw is reduce emissions by limiting the amount of propulsion power demand on the engine by keeping it at a low RPM. The traction-motor handles that burden instead.

Your supposed claim is that Prius Prime should consume that electricity for EV driving, preventing the engine from ever starting due to being close to your destination. This would mode would automatically be activated based upon current GPS location being compared to saved driving history.

In theory, that sounds simple. Looking at the actual data, not so much. Just under 0.25 kWh is available. Using the standard measure of 4 miles per 1 kWh, that electricity is enough to take you 1 mile under favorable driving conditions. With the heater or A/C running, highway speeds, acceleration from a stop, or having to climb a large hill, that distance available is reduced. Those factors will not be apparent to drivers.

In other words, a vague statement of "like EV+" only serves to feed assumptions and establish false expectations. By far, the better approach is to present information so discussions can take place about it and other detail & experiences can be shared. I requested that, but didn't get it.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    personally, i would be happy with a screen prompt, 'engine will start in x tenths of a mile, override for up to x more tenths'?
    it's not a big deal, but i have been within a few hundred feet of my destination several times when the ice fired.
    also, i hope prime notifies of ice exercise ahead of time, so you can prepare for it. i don't like when it comes on just because i've hit the 124 miles, as i'm gunning it up an on ramp.

16. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Speaking of information sharing, I have been collecting Prius Prime support material from my Prius PHV for over 4 years now.

By recharging the 4.4 kWh battery-pack each day at work, that resulting real-world detail provides a basis of expectations for the 8.8 kWh battery-pack with only a single charge.

It was reasonable to believe Toyota would attempt to deliver double the current capacity. Little did I know that was exactly what would happen. Fortunately, it did. Now we have something to build upon, even before rollout begins. We know that Toyota has worked hard to increase efficiency of the electrical system too. So, results from Prius Prime should be better just recharging once per day.

In my case, the 38-mile commute easily falls within the 22-mile capacity. So, recharging at work will put me into the 999 MPG category when I upgrade. I'm quite curious how the vapor-injected heat-pump will operate in Minnesota Winter driving. I'm also quite excited about the heated steering-wheel and the ability to pre-warm the vehicle using plug-supplied electricity. There's much to look forward to.

Hopefully, my wait to upgrade will be less than 5 months.

KrPtNk, drash and Mister MMT like this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you're fortunate they designed one to your liking. i hope all the first time plug in owners enjoy theirs!(y)

18. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    As I said, the Energi does the same thing: slowly spools up the ICE and lets it warmup without load while the remaining EV SOC propels the car and then blends in it. EV+ keeps this from happening if you nearly home and SOC meets the basic parameters. So simple. Coming up with a bunch of what if's only serves to mislead (OP).

If will be interesting to find out what new abilities Prime's EV Auto has. Energi's EV Auto programming being about 6 years older is rather dumb.

19. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Here's another example of promoting by misleading...

2017 Toyota Prius Prime Plug-In Hybrid Drive – Review – Car and Driver

Not only did a supposedly reputable publisher claim just 6 miles total capacity, they also implied many carmakers were offering plug-in hybrids back then. In reality, capacity was 11 miles and it was only Ford.

Another bit of misleading that got my goat was:

Since when is the 62 mph EV speed theoretical? I see that routinely. What is the basis of their claim? Why does it matter anyway? Posted highway speeds around here are 55, 60, 65, and 70. There is no need to sustain travel at 62 mph.

Needless to say, we're going to see a lot more of this misleading for awhile. That's unfortunate.

Sarge, KrPtNk and Mister MMT like this.