1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Proof of speeding violation

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ggops, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ggops @ Mar 22 2007, 11:41 PM) [snapback]410676[/snapback]</div>
    You need to state exactly what type of radar he was using. Your ticket will say that. If it's Laser the unit must be checked with a set of tuning forks with the EXACT same S/N as the laser gun. Also all radar guns must be re-calibrated every 6 months by a CERTIFIED speedometer shop. That goes for cop car speedos also. If vascar there will be 2 guys that run it & both have to be in court. I will send you an excellent web address that tells all you want to know about beating a speeding ticket. I'm not home now.

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Mar 23 2007, 10:11 AM) [snapback]410997[/snapback]</div>
    No, she is not calling a police officer a sphincter for doing his job. She is calling him one for being a liar; but then everyone knows cops never lie, they never give perjured testimony, they never plant evidence, they never steal dope from evidence lockers and they never shoot innocent people. All the news reports of such occurrences must be fiction.

3. desynch

desynch Die-Hard Conservative

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Mar 23 2007, 03:30 PM) [snapback]411114[/snapback]</div>
    We'll let the JUDGE decide who is the liar, how about that?

I support Law Enforcement. If I get a ticket for something that I did - I'm not going to whine about it or try to fight it... If I was given a ticket for something I did not do, I will either a) Contact a lawyer or B) Talk to the Judge ... NOT come on some forum to try to find ways to get out of it.

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Right, because judges have some sort of magical ability to "just know"? Without any proof like a print out from the radar, it's just one word against another - how is the judge supposed to know who is lying?

5. desynch

desynch Die-Hard Conservative

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm far more inclined to believe a civilian would lie about how fast he was going, rather than the Officer going out of his way to write a ticket that was unjustified.

Sorry.. I'm on the Cops side... and I almost always will be, unless it was a blatant violation of the Constitution.. something you liberals are pretty well versed at trying to do.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Mar 23 2007, 03:17 PM) [snapback]411141[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Mar 23 2007, 03:24 PM) [snapback]411149[/snapback]</div>
    TRUE and spooky:

I know someone who occasionally works as a substitute judge in city court. Non-criminal stuff, some civil stuff. This person claims that she can "just tell" when people are lying. She's a lawyer, and considered a very competent one, though without much courtroom experience. She mostly does legal research and writes briefs, stuff like that.

I think it's pretty dangerous when a judge feels she can "just tell" whether you are telling the truth or not. I suspect there are plenty of them that think they can. Like I said above, you're more likely to go to jail if you're innocent with a bad lawyer, than if you're guilty with a good one.

7. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A *second* citation for looking at the radar unit? On what charge?
    Nevertheless, MPG sucks at those speed ranges.
    _H*

8. tag

tag Senior Member

One problem here is that the OP, Ggops, unequivocally stated in the first post in this thread that he/she told the officer that he/she had set the cruise control to 72 MPH and the posted speed limit was 70 MPH. That is an *admission of guilt* (i.e. 2 MPH over the limit) and the officer could so testify in court (comes in under an exception to the rule against hearsay).

So, the end result is, assuming Ggops does not intend to perjure him or herself by stating he/she never made that statement, it's a done deal.......guilty. Radar becomes irrelevant with these facts *unless* Ggops states, under oath, that he/she never made that statement to the officer.

Sorry but this is a no-brainer for the judge unless Ggops claims the officer is lying about the statement made at the scene.

9. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tag @ Mar 23 2007, 03:25 PM) [snapback]411196[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know about Atlanta or Chicago, but in California the amount of the fine is calculated based upon how much he was over the speed limit. Eight MPH could make a difference of approximately $100.

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Mar 23 2007, 08:33 AM) [snapback]410796[/snapback]</div>
    Excuse me?

I'll take the posters story at face value and not ASSume he's lieing. Like you ASSumed *I* lied in a post I made.

Please post proof of my previous disgust for the police.

Disgust for Bush..yes.

Disgust for the Republican party...yes.

Disgust for a police office that lies in order to make his ticket quota? In this specific case...yes.

And now...disgust for you...yes.

Don't bother to reply. I'm putting you on ignore and high time.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Mar 23 2007, 01:11 PM) [snapback]410997[/snapback]</div>
    Last I checked this forum allowed free speech.

I can call this particular cop an donkey.

Would I do that to his face? No. Because my Father didn't raise no stupid chillun.

Notice the name calling liberal bashing. What next? Libturds? Demoncrats?

Because all police officers tell the truth.

Because all police officers abide by the law

Because the police are always right and citizens always lie.

11. saechaka

saechaka Member

here is a little tidbit that might help your case. it seems almost all of these prius are off by 2 miles in that going 72mph, your really going 70mph. good luck

12. tag

tag Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Mar 23 2007, 07:12 PM) [snapback]411219[/snapback]</div>
    It doesn't go up incrementally (per MPH over) here. A fine of up to $1000 *can* be imposed for any speeding violation but, *generally*, 1-20 is $75 while 21-30 is $95. Over 30 and you *must* appear but it's still considered a petty offense (40 or more over and it's a misdemeanor).

Unless I'm mistaken, the fines work roughly the same way in Georgia *except* ANY speeding violation is a misdemeanor and, along with a fine of up to a grand, you can get sent in for up to 12 months.

So, I think the upshot here, and it's been mentioned before, is PLEAD THIS THING! It's just not worth contesting and prosecutors don't usually get torqued about minor speeding violations in the absence of injuries or property damage.

13. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Mar 23 2007, 08:33 AM) [snapback]410796[/snapback]</div>
    In NJ Municipal Court is just a money making scam. (Before jury selection at the county court the judge affirmed this.) I don't know that the officer in question lied about the speed indicated on the radar unit. However, I do know from personal experience that SOME police officers in NJ write phony tickets, file false police reports, and have no problem telling lies in court. IMO those a$$holes, once convicted, should do some time with their fellow a$$holes. Unfortunately they are not vigorously prosecuted.

In Municipal Court it is your word against the cop's. Even if the cop is lying like a rug the judge will believe him. IMO it will cost less to settle the ticket. You can try a plea bargain before your case is called. If you decide to go before the judge it will cost more. Good luck.

14. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(saechaka @ Mar 23 2007, 06:03 PM) [snapback]411232[/snapback]</div>
    My GPS confirms this, in the case of my particular Prius. At freeway speed limit, the GPS indicates that I'm going 2 mph slower than the speedo says.

However, in the case of the OP, his c/c was set at 72 and the cop's radar said 75.

Do they generally freeze the radar display after clocking someone speeding?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Mar 23 2007, 07:00 PM) [snapback]411258[/snapback]</div>
    A certain now-retired police officer and active member of Prius Chat, whose screen name rhymes with "Pick-a" has stated, here on PC, that he would lie in order to send a person he believed to be a drug dealer to jail. He also stated that he assumed I had been arrested for drugs, when in fact all my arrests have been for nonviolent protesting of nuclear weapons. Thus he has demonstrated his willingness to jump to assumptions about people, without any evidence whatsoever, AND his willingness to lie to put people in jail based on those assumptions.

And I honestly believe that the PC member in question is one of the BETTER ones.

Cops are people, just like the rest of us, and people do lie when it suits their purposes.

15. sharkmeister

sharkmeister Junior Member

I think it's sad, everything is supportive of the cop being a liar. One can only wonder how much damage the corrupt cop has done.

And if his cop buddies will never rat him out -- that wonderful blue wall of silence -- they are complicit in his corruption and corrupt themselves.

With the prez and AG trying to foist cronies on the "Justice" system and declaring they are exempt from oversight its a sad state of affairs indeed.

As for "liberals" griping about cops, please note that the administration's rendition program is against both US and International law. Unfortunately, the AG serves as Bulsh's lawyer, he only pretends to be the highest law enforcement official in the nation.

It's not "liberals" vs. "conservatives"; it's people with a reasonable sense of decency against corrupt conscienceless liars who will say anything to continue to line their pockets with taxpayers money and associated kickbacks.

16. adam1991

adam1991 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Mar 23 2007, 10:17 PM) [snapback]411264[/snapback]</div>
    Dudley Smith: Edmund, you're a political animal. You have the eye for human weakness, but not the stomach.
    Ed Exley: You're wrong, sir.
    Captain Dudley Smith: Would you be willing to plant corroborative evidence on a suspect you knew to be guilty, in order to ensure an indictment?
    Ed Exley: Dudley, we've been over this.
    Captain Dudley Smith: Yes or no, Edmund?
    Ed Exley: No!
    Captain Dudley Smith: Would you be willing to beat a confession out of a suspect you knew to be guilty?
    Ed Exley: No.
    Captain Dudley Smith: Would you be willing to shoot a hardened criminal in the back, in order to offset the chance that some... lawyer...
    Ed Exley: No.
    Captain Dudley Smith: Then, for the love of God, don't be a detective. Stick to assignments where you don't have...
    Ed Exley: Dudley, I know you mean well, but I don't need to do it the way you did. Or my father.

17. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adam1991 @ Mar 23 2007, 08:13 PM) [snapback]411308[/snapback]</div>
    See, the problem is that so often we "know" someone to be guilty, and then he turns out to be innocent.

Then there's the question of people who are "guilty" of breaking laws that were passed for evil or corrupt reasons in the first place. And the undeniable fact that the "justice" system turns a blind eye when rich people break the same laws which are enforced with ruthless brutality against poor people.

The whole system is rotten. Cops are just the grunts in the war the ruling class wages to ensure that the poor don't rise up and take back what's been stolen from them throughout history.

HOWEVER, even this rotten system does some good once in a while, by accident, as it were, and enforcing traffic laws is an example of that.

18. ggops

ggops New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Mar 23 2007, 05:53 PM) [snapback]411172[/snapback]</div>
    For your sake i hope you don't run into this type of a situation. Its a miserable feeling.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Mar 23 2007, 05:53 PM) [snapback]411172[/snapback]</div>
    you would be surprised by the amount of knowledge in these forums.

Sorry all, I didn't mean to turn this into some form of political debate or a discussion against the Cops.

The ticket was in a rental Pontiac G6 in Scott's county near DaventPort, IA(i work in IA during the week ). As i stated earlier i did set the cruise at 72, there is no denying that. I guess its time to pay and move on...

19. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ggops @ Mar 24 2007, 02:27 AM) [snapback]411395[/snapback]</div>
    Don't worry, YOU didn't. It seems almost every discussion gets dragged, kicking and screaming sometimes, into a debate about religion and/or politics.

I'm going to post a test post about baby wipes - aloe-infused or not? I have no doubt it will eventually turn out (at some point in the thread) that the godless liberals are supporting islamfascism by not buying the aloe wipes and are the true enemies of our country.... :lol:

20. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ Mar 24 2007, 03:12 AM) [snapback]411450[/snapback]</div>
    You just did. :D