1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Proper Technique for Short Drives

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lencap, Jun 18, 2007.

1. lencap

lencap Junior Member

Hi All -

My MFD shows 46.0 MPG average since new (5884 miles) which is somewhat below what others achieve. That figure is up from 44.3 at the end of the winter, showing the greater efficiency of warm weather.

My questions: (1) Many of my drives are 15 minutes in length, the first five minutes being the worst milage time - Is there a way to get better milage when driving short distances; (2) My highway milage seems great - high 40s versus 51 EPA sticker. I don't seem to be doing very much to get this MPG, just driving conservatively and staying below 75 MPH. Why am I getting much closer to the EPA estimates on the highway versus the much lower city results?

When I drive in the city for 30 minutes or more I may get some high milage spikes on the MFD, but I rarely get as high as 50MPG on average, not much better than the highway results. What can I do to improve the milage?

Thanks for the help.

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lencap @ Jun 18 2007, 01:59 PM) [snapback]464167[/snapback]</div>
    Ouch. Increasing tp to at least 42/40 will help and will make the tires last longer. Partially blocking the (upper) grill and installing a block heater were recommended to me. Also recommended was a ScanGuage to monitor temps. Wayne (Fire Engineer) and Ken from Japan are the experts. You may want to search for their posts.

3. lencap

lencap Junior Member

Thanks for the tips. I dismissed the higher tire pressure after a 800+ mile trip on the interstate where the car handled terribly (2007 touring edition). The higher pressure isn't worth the harsh ride and more difficult handling (in my opinion).

The foam for the grills I read about, but living in NC I didn't think it necessary. Clearly it may have helped, but the large variation in daily temps in the winter made me nervous about using the foam. I also didn't like the look, even though some people don't find it very visible.

My biggest problem is the short trip time - about 8 miles to work. I didn't realize the severe penalty for these short trips.

Thanks again.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    8 miles is plenty far enough to get 55-60mpg with proper technique. I do 60+ in a 5 mile commute.
    Consider an engine block heater if you're really serious about pushing your numbers up. I helps tremendously to reduce the first five minute penalty even in warm weather.
    Other than that go very easy on the accelerator for the first 30 sec. to 1 minute (longer for cold starts) while the car focuses on emissions control and CAT warm-up...if you can avoid acceleration into traffic or pushing for high speeds during that time that will help too. After that moderate acceleration (40% pedal or ~1850rpm) will keep you in the most efficient range for the ICE.

If this sounds like too much trouble then just stick with good driving technique. Anticipate stops and get off the accelerator as early as reasonable, don't tailgate, stay at or below the speed limit.

5. lencap

lencap Junior Member

Thanks for the info Evan. My problem is that I live near a hill and must climb it every time I leave my house. So the penalty for a cold engine combined with the need to push the ICE to get up the hill seems to be the reason for the bad milage. I'll consider the block heater, thanks for the suggestion.

6. R1200GS

R1200GS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Get rid of that pesky hill. :D