1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Proper way to wash Prius 5

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by CoolPriusXLE, Jun 20, 2023.

1. Exerted

Exerted Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    One last thing about ceramic coatings from dealers. It's most likely a $20 bottle of ceramic spray wax that they apply to your car. They won't be prepping your paint beyond the normal car wash they do for new cars before delivery.

2. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was passionate about detailing by new red Jetta back in the early 90’s. I used to hand wash and wax.

I don’t live where I can hand wash my car and the self serve places are pretty run down. I need to find a reliable, reasonable person to at least do exterior detail once a year and rinse it down regularly.

I’m embarrassed to admit I’ve only washed the exterior of my 2009 (purchased in 2015) a few times and have never waxed it. I had big plans to find someone to do it but understandably very expensive for hand washing/waxing. I would love to know if it had some sort of ceramic coating because the roof and side panels are as shiny and new as the new paint job on the bumpers replaced after accident. Parked out in a blazing hot parking 24/7. Toyota must use a decent clear coat. The hood obviously has a little wear wear.

I didn’t realize they actually alter the factory paint and clear coat in order to apply ceramic coating. I guess I need to reevaluate. I sometimes get stuck under a sappy tree. The ceramic coat would help protect the paint but I know the sap would still need to be removed. Car would still need regular washings. Overall silver is a bit boring but it’s forgiving.

I’ll have to buy a humongous windshield shade for the 2023.

#42 daisy555, Jul 6, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2023
  3. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was wondering. Pretty expensive spray bottle. This dealership doesn’t even have the ability to wash cars. Rhode Island laws won’t let them. Something about water usage.

#43 daisy555, Jul 6, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2023
  4. Exerted

Exerted Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    When I was living in an apartment area with no access to water, I made sure to not let the car get too dirty so I can wash it weekly with: Optimum No Rinse and Shine.

It's available on Amazon. All you need is a small bucket with water, and some decent microfiber towels like the 40+pack they sell at Costco for $18. Lots of videos on using a rinse less wash on YouTube.

daisy555 likes this.
  5. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! I’ll check it out.

6. samsprius1

samsprius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    IMG_9612.jpeg IMG_9609.jpeg

Gokhan, Preebee, tovli and 3 others like this.
  7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yet another huge plus for lighter paint colors; best is a metallic/pearl white. Hides light paint swirls and scratches like they aren't there. My 11 year old pearl white cmax has never had a wax, been thru countless auto and hand washes, sits outside 24/7 in the harsh south Texas environment, and still looks new (no kidding).

daisy555 likes this.
  8. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    IMG_5926.jpeg
    Hi So I’m guessing you are someone who would not recommend getting the factory installed clear film or dealer applied ceramic coating?

I have to make a decision today regarding having the Toyota installed clear film on hood, fender and handle cups. My understanding is quality has improved but it can be a huge deal getting it removed and replaced if needed. Discoloration, pealing or damage to paint would be so upsetting. I’m leaning toward the ceramic coating. I’m someone who can’t wash/wax my car on a regularly basis. Hoping to rinse regularly at self serve car wash and wash and wax at least twice a year. More feedback appreciated.

Attached is a photo of my 2009 that I purchased in 2015. As mentioned above I’ve only rinsed it and maybe washed it once. Sitting out in New England weather 24/7. None of this by choice…The paint looks new except where my I’ve had issues due to my exposure to clay residue. This is why I’m thinking ceramic coating would be best. I will be over paying for it due to fact that it includes interior treatments that I won’t be getting due to chemical fragrances.

More concerned about whether this is best for the car paint than concern about the cost. Film and/or ceramic coating is being paid for by someone else. I will be paying for future detailing etc. Thank you!

#48 daisy555, Jul 10, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2023
    tovli likes this.
  9. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you!

10. CatNinja

CatNinja Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Besides the rinseless washes, there are also waterless washes. Difference is that instead using a bucket of solution that you wash and then dry, you just spray and wipe dry. You use a ton of microfiber towels though, as you can only wipe once (keep folding into quarters). But then you just toss them all into the laundry when you are done. I don’t usually wash my microfiber with other laundry, so I have lots of room in one load.

Optimum’s waterless wash is called Opti-Clean, but other manufacturers have equivalent products.

I can wash my car in 15 mins flat with a waterless spray and wipe. Use a spray on sealant like Opti-Seal as a drying aid as you wipe dry, and you can wax your car at the same time. No need for a fancy ceramic coating if you keep your car washed and waxed regularly.

daisy555 likes this.
  11. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
  12. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Just put a 2nd coat of Meguirs ceramic hybrid wax on last week. My baby is sealed up good now! Remember, there's some dire warnings from Toyota on the paint warranty. They say that if you don't apply a wax, they aren't gonna cover paint issues. This is why they put that tube of wax in the glove box. Better get something on your Toyota, because their paint is notoriously thin.

Also, when wiping down my beauty, I could not find a single blemish or imperfection anywhere on it!! Now I'm starting to develop paranoia over when my first chip will occur. :LOL::oops:

ukulelegeek likes this.
  13. ukulelegeek

ukulelegeek Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You likely don't have to worry to much about paint peeling issues unless you park in the sun all the time and never wax. I wax each time I wash, except in the summer when it's way to hot to exert myself outdoors. Mine didn't peel until it was 13 years old.

Preebee likes this.
  14. Blackat

Blackat Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    First thing I did was a professional ceramic coating. Full frontal PPF. And window tint on the back glass to match the roof glass.
    It wasn't cheap but I felt it was worth it.

ukulelegeek likes this.
  15. samsprius1

samsprius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    IMG_0014.jpeg
    mine never gets dirty! I've been using spray on products from all the big names like Adams, Griots garage, Maguire's all the latest "Shine All" have done this the last three vehicles and they always look new when I sell them! good move on the PPF on the front specially if you do freeway driving or bugs I've done partials on other cars, but not on this Prius!

Roqu3, ukulelegeek and Gokhan like this.
  16. Blackat

Blackat Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Here in Colorado they put cinder and sand on the roads in the mountains were I live during winter for traction. Plow trucks, yada, yada.
    So, not only bugs but road rash is common from the winter roads.

The PPF is the entire hood, front, fenders, side mirrors

17. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    m.wynn and ukulelegeek like this.
  18. Blackat

Blackat Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Ceramic coating is guaranteed for 5 yrs by the guy who did it. I just wash it off with spot free water, 5-10 min. and it looks like glass.
    Waxing every whatever is not how I want to spend my time and energy.
    YMMV

ukulelegeek likes this.
  19. GeoJ

GeoJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I am not a car washer. My last car, owned for a bit under 10 years, I never washed. Let the rain do it. It has not been important to me, and I don't like the idea of wasting water to get the outside of my car clean.

Now with this new fancy XSE Prime I see it does get dirty. So today we had a light rain, my car was wet in the morning. I went out with a soft cloth and just dried it, taking off the dirt/dust that had accumulated. Seems like the car is now washed. Not perfect but looks A LOT cleaner than before I did this. Is this a bad idea? Thinking that the car washers here may have opinions.

20. CatNinja

CatNinja Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The issue is that dirt on the surface will scratch the paint when you wipe. What you need to do is spray on a polymer that will encapsulate the dirt before you wipe. Doesn’t take any more time, just spray with one hand and wipe with the other. Many products available from various manufacturers, just search for waterless wash. I use Optimum Opti-Clean.

GeoJ likes this.