1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Property Tax Assessor Records Corp.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by silentak1, Jan 4, 2006.

1. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A few months ago we received a letter from "Property Tax Assessor Records Corp." (not affiliated with any government agency). They promise that for a $49.00 fee they will reduce the home taxation value by at least $5600.00.

Without any investigation, my father sent the "processing card" and "agreed" to be billed later. 2 months later the company is demanding that we pay the $49.00 and even included a COPY of the "processing card" as proof!

Now i just read this link

I've consulted with several loan officers and was recommend to NOT sign up for it, let alone pay for this service (which could be free thru the gov't).

My question is... how do i go about CANCELLING this "application"? Does anyone think that they will throw people into collections for $49.00?

The only information that i see from them is...
    Property Tax Assessor Records Corp.
    PO BOX 532589
    Los Angeles, CA 90053-2589
    1-866-865-1419 (i can't seem to be able to reach a live person)

Any previous experience or direction is appreciated,
    ak

2. tag

tag Senior Member

PROPERTY TAX ASSESSOR RECORDS CORP.
    225 W WACKER DR STE 2800
    CHICAGO, IL 60606

Draft a letter and send it to them certified mail. You might also want to try calling one of the numbers in the link.

3. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

If they haven't actually performed a service yet, you should be able to cancel the service and refuse to pay.
    Use a certified letter to cancel. (Keep a copy, of course.)
    I doubt they'd refer to a collection agency or report it to a credit reporting service.
    If they do there are recourses available.

4. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I will try the suggestions. Thank you.

5. Russo

Russo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(silentak1 @ Jan 9 2006, 12:19 PM) [snapback]186487[/snapback]</div>
    Hello Silentak!

I just got in the same situation with Property Tax Assessor Records Corp, thanks to my stupidity...
    I sent them a card, but now I received a bill for $49.00 Though they said that they "completed requiered application materials" there is no changes on my tax records according to Tax Assessor Offic in Long Beach.

I want to send them a letter to buzz off, but first...
    How you ordeal ended up? Which steps did you take and did you have to pay in the end?
    Please share with me and others - it may help to choose the right path to fight with this scam.

Thank you so much!

Russo

6. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    http://www.bbbhou.org/home_family/proptax.htm

Best piece of information from above link:

No matter how official this company may seem, it is important to remember that government agencies send official mail in envelopes whose upper right hand corner has a "penalty indicia" (the U.S. Postal Service shield and the words, "Penalty for Private use $300") or a government mailing permit imprint (showing a permit number beginning with the letter "G").

7. tag

tag Senior Member

8. roses21

roses21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    k i know this post is a bit old but seriously did anyone get any results?--did u have to pay the $$? this just recently happened 2 my mom & im worried about what they will do, plus i think they have her SSN# so i'm very concerned. $49 is not a lot but i just dont want them 2 mess w/her identity,
    thanks!

9. guest00

guest00 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I too received the same letter in the mail:

PROPERTY TAX ASSESSOR RECORDS CORP - NOT AFFILIATED WITH ANY GOVERNMENT AGENCY - Exemption Information & Processing - P.O. Box 33877, San Antonio, Texas 78265-3877

Of course, I did my research online before I responded and found this is scam is occurring nationwide. I called my local Tax Assessor office and they confirmed they are aware of the scam and said I didn't have to pay anything, if indeed I qualified for an exemption. She looked up my information and confirmed I qualify for the Homestead Exemption and proceeded to give me all the information I needed to go to my local office and apply for the exemption myself, free of charge!

Don't fall for this scam. I'm not sure what happens if you already sent them the fee. Mine was a $55 fee they were asking for.

good luck!