1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

proposal for mandatory/copy & paste fuel economy questionnaire

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by cwerdna, Feb 9, 2010.

1. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I've heard this from other members on this message board regarding maxing out their psi on their tires, even adding more with no problems.
    I may try it to max or almost to max.
    Do you recommend going the same psi for all four like 44 or go 2 under on the back like a 44/42?

2. Insight-I Owner

Insight-I Owner 2006 Insight-I MT + 2011 Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I use 44psi all around but then my driving is mild, so I might not notice if that caused a problem. I'd suggest trying it both ways to see which works better for you.

FWIW, I ran my Insight-I's OEM RE92 Potenzas at 65psi (44psi sidewall rating) and got about 62K miles out of them. Nice even wear, and they still were not down to minimum tread! I changed them because they were 5 years old and because I wasn't sure if Bridgestone will continue making that special tire.

I think at least going to sidewall rating is worthwhile for improved tire wear alone, even if it didn't improve mpg a bit! Tires are so expensive these days.

1 person likes this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It will depend on a given tire.
    Even at sidewall max, (44f/42r) the Goodyear Intergetys wore at the edges
    Down to 38f/36r, the Goodyear Authority Fuel Max wore out in the center.

I watch, and adjust.

1 person likes this.
  4. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    reply - JimboPalmer & Insight-I Owner

I have stocked tires, I think they are some kind of Yokohama tires.
    I am at 35/33 right now, maybe I will go up gradually, maybe 38/36.

5. Insight-I Owner

Insight-I Owner 2006 Insight-I MT + 2011 Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Probably depends not only on tire, but also on the car and how the car is driven.
    I gather that the Goodyear Integritys were OEM on the Gen-II, which according to your sig is what you have?? I don't know what the Goodyear Authority is.

The OEM tires on the 2011 Gen-III's, which the OP and I have, were either Goodyear Assurance, which I have (they don't say Fuel Max on them) or Yokohama, which the OP has.

I agree 100% on checking, tread depth gauges are not expensive. I just checked my Assurances. Front and back are both at 8/32" in all three grooves of the tread. I have about 15,000miles on them and have been running them at 44psi the whole time. But as I said my driving is mild. Someone who drives harder might see different (and faster!) tread wear with identical tires at the same psi on the same car.

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes the Integritys were OEM on the Gen 2, and lasted me 55,000 miles.
    The Goodyear Authority Fuel Max is a Walmart specific tread design tire, with other tread patterns it is a Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max. Mine lasted 35,000 miles.
    I am now on Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires for 4,000 miles, they seem fine so far.

Here are 21 LRR tires for your year, including all we have mentioned.
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...II&sortCode=38050&tireIndex=0&wtpackage=false
    (oddly it mentions the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max twice, with different specs and prices, OEM and not)

7. Doug E B

Doug E B Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    - What fuel economy are you getting and how are you determining fuel economy? (trip computer or manual calculations)Been filling up (first nozzle shut-off only) then noting Odometer or setting trip meter. Pencil n caculator

- What fuel economy are you expecting and why? looking for 45- 50+

- What are the approximate outside air temps?presently low 30's

- How long are your trips?100-160 one way

How old is your 12v battery? What is the voltage reading of your 12v battery after sitting over night? (Method Here)Brand New car with less than 1000 miles on it.

Have you had your alignment checked? Any pulling or abnormal tire wear?NEW car hopefully all is correct.

- How much of it is city vs. highway? Roughly what's the average speed in overall and and of each segment? Is there a lot of stop and go driving?My wife drives in town aboyut 3 miles a day so in EV mode.

- What's the terrain like of your drives? (e.g. flat, gentle hills, steep hills, etc.)in town one small hill, out on the highway, lots of hills and mountians

- What are your tire pressures?I have yet to check.

- Is your oil overfilled? (i.e. above the full mark on the dipstick)direct from factory

- Make, model, year, engine and transmission of previous car? (e.g. 08 Honda Civic Si 2.0L 4 cylinder, manual transmission) What did you actually get on the same trips/commute? (Please give us actual numbers, not EPA ratings.)Had a 2003 Ford Escape. Usually 20-23 MPG. Trip to Missoula (139 with large mountian) I would use 12 gallons. Went 03/12/2013 in new Prius 2 and used under 6 gallons total.

- What region/state are you in? (if you haven't set your location)Salmon, Idaho (South East Idaho

- How are you trying to drive (e.g. trying to stay in electric only?) and how hard are you braking?I discovered I get better fuel mliage if I have a green indicator light on. Dealer and owners manual? never mentioned green indicator. I was driving with no indicator lights on.

- What modes are you using, if any? "normal", EV, power, eco? Was using normal, no green indicator lights on. Recent trip I discovered better miliage with the ECO light on.

- Are you "warming up" the ICE (internal combustion engine) by letting it idle after powering on?Its 20-30 degrees here so yes warming it up about 2-3 minutes in the morning only.

- Are you driving using D or B mode?Using D mode but going down steep grades using B mode.

- HVAC settings? Are you using the heater, AC, auto mode, etc.? If using auto, what temp is it set to?Using auto set to 72 degrees

- Are you using the factory tires and wheels? If not, please indicate tire make, model and size (e.g. Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max 185/65R15).When purchased I had 17" rims with Michelin MXM4's put on at dealership.

- If reporting a mileage drop, did anything significant change on your car (e.g. accident, hit a curb or big pothole throwing off alignment, oil change/other maintenance/repairs, changed tires or wheels, etc.) or your commute?miliage is going up after I discovered the green lights.

8. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Congrats on the new car. It will take a while for the car to break in. In general if you keep the speed under 70 MPH on the highway you should be able to get 50 MPG with good weather, dry smooth road surface, and warmed up engine. Short trips, A/C use, cold weather, and wet road all hurt fuel economy. Good luck!

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Doug EB: Please start a new thread w/your specific mileage complaint/issue. This thread is meant for people to provide feedback regarding the questionnaire. At the moment, I'm not sure what mileage you're actually getting. I'm no tire expert but I wouldn't be surprised if changing to those tires would affect mileage negatively.

I'm not even sure which vehicle you have. Which member of the Prius family is it? Please answer in your new thread, if it's not clear.

10. Doug E B

Doug E B Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry I thought all the info you asked about was in the questionnaire. I just copy n pasted then filled out.
    A 2013 Prius 2 with Michelin MXM4 tires on 17" rims.
    Getting 40-50 mpg (found out I had green indicator lights and seems to get better mileage but need more seat time.

11. PriusCatt

PriusCatt New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Here you go, anal or not ... lol ...

- Have you readThis TheadYet?

I started this thread.

- What fuel economy are you getting and how are you determining fuel economy? (trip computer or manual calculations)

39.5, was 41.5 last week, 47.5 the previous week, original 52-53. 55 when I picked it up at the dealership when new.

- What fuel economy are you expecting and why?

50-60 mpg … my previous prius did and this prius is supposed to have better mileage.

- What are the approximate outside air temps?

- How long are your trips?

Around town. Work is 25 miles ea way with LA traffic.

How old is your 12v battery? What is the voltage reading of your 12v battery after sitting over night? (Method Here) 30 months … it is fine.

Have you had your alignment checked? Any pulling or abnormal tire wear?

Yes. Had an alignment done. It is fine. No abnormal tire wear. Car was at dealership last week.

- How much of it is city vs. highway? Roughly what's the average speed in overall and and of each segment? Is there a lot of stop and go driving?

Yes, a lot of stop and go for about 8 miles. 12 miles slow at 35-55. 5 miles at 50-74

Each weekend, go 25 miles each way back roads to another town and drive around locally mostly.

Used to go for 6 months to ventura county to long beach about once a week.

Rarely go to Northern Cal, a few hundred miles each way.

- What's the terrain like of your drives? (e.g. flat, gentle hills, steep hills, etc.)

Higway or back roads with good pavement.

- What are your tire pressures?

35 front, 33 back – whatever it states it to be inside the drivers door.

- Is your oil overfilled? (i.e. above the full mark on the dipstick) No.

- Make, model, year, engine and transmission ofpreviouscar? (e.g. 08Honda Civic Si2.0L 4 cylinder, manual transmission) What did you actually get on the same trips/commute? (Please give us actual numbers, not EPA ratings.)

2009 Prius. 60 mpg or better normally

- What region/state are you in? (if you haven't set your location)

(outside LA) CA Orange county

- How are you trying to drive (e.g. trying to stay in electric only?) and how hard are you braking?

No. Normal, as needed.

- What modes are you using, if any? "normal", EV, power, eco?

Always ECO mode.

- Are you "warming up" the ICE (internal combustion engine) by letting it idle after powering on?

No warming up.

- Are you driving using D or B mode?

D mode.

- HVAC settings? Are you using the heater, AC, auto mode, etc.? If using auto, what temp is it set to?

Almost always have the AC on. Too much pollution here not to. When going to work at 70 degrees, coming home Lo setting. It is hot here. I have a sun roof, and the top of the roof felt really hot today.

- Are you using the factory tires and wheels? If not, please indicate tire make, model and size (e.g.GoodyearAssuranceFuel Max 185/65R15).

Same as original in size but Japanese brand. I cannot recall. Newer.

- If reporting a mileage drop, did anything significant change on your car (e.g. accident, hit a curb or big pothole throwing off alignment, oil change/other maintenance/repairs, changed tires or wheels, etc.) or your commute?

I originally got 52-53 mpg, then it dropped to 47 mpg. I had the original tires at that point. No major accidents or pot holes. Only a bump to the bumper but the care was checked out and only damage to the bumper and me.

Bottom of Form

Read more:Fuel economy complaints/queries? Please copy, paste & answer these questions, esp. if you're new | PriusChat
    Follow us:@PriusChat on Twitter|PriusChat on Facebook

12. PriusCatt

PriusCatt New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Hi ... I thought that I started a new thread. Hmmmm. I have a 2010 Prius, 3. Thanks. The mileage declined before I got the new tires. It declined again when I went to get a efi fuel system decarb and clean throttle body service a week ago a a dealership.

13. PriusCatt

PriusCatt New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    :) I completed and posted. Thanks!

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't see any issues but the tyres.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did your commute change? a lot of stop and go can kill your mpg's.

16. PriusCatt

PriusCatt New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I have had this commute for 7 months. Bringing to the dealership for the service hurt the mileage. (had efi fuel system decarb and clean throttle body) It appears to hate the range of 35-45, it gets 25 mpg watching the consumption gauge. It gets 48 or better going about 55 mpg. It appears that my car does not like to go slow. :)

17. PriusCatt

PriusCatt New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sorry, I should have stated that prior to my commute changing this last 7 months, it had previously dropped from 53 to 47 mpg with no changes. That was mostly non highway driving as I avoid them as much as possible unless there is little traffic.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that doesn't make sense. have you spoken to the dealer about their work? fuel system cleaner seems like a scam, but maybe it messed something up?

19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You should have posted as a reply to your original thread: Gradual decline in fuel mileage
    I'll put my reply there.

20. PriusCatt

PriusCatt New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Hi ... I did speak with them. They want to run a consumption test, I took it in but they could not run it due to traffic so they want me to come back. There is only so much time in the day. It is not a happy car. When I go 35-45 it gets 25 mpg, 50-57 it is happiest and mpg goes high, 65+ up to 80 not so good. Very odd. I averaged (50 miles) about 40.5 mpg today. Very poor mileage.