1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Proposal for Southern California to become a new state

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Chuck., Jul 11, 2011.

1. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    California is currently the eighth largest economy in the world.

California economy ranking in the world - California Economy | EconPost

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I sort of kind of hope it would happen. Not fully, but maybe let CA do what they want and see how well it works. My bet is that without the conservative hindrance things would actually get done and it would be South-Canada. I would immigrate (legally of course).

3. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
  4. Hidyho

Hidyho Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It would be interesting to see them spend the money on making the Salton Sea drinkable, because they would have to do that, or build massive desalinization plants along the coast, Northern California would and should charge them out the wazoo for water, the Colorado isn't going to give them enough.

5. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It may move back up a notch, Italy may be going the way of Greece.

6. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    What a clever trick, they left Monterey, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Ventura and Los Angeles to the Northern State, so that the rich can still siphon off the water from the north.

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Maybe the whole northern Pacific region should stop letting water go south. Hey, here's an idea: Let's EVICT those counties that want to be independent and give them back to Mexico! (And if you counter that we should give the entire southwest back to Mexico you'll get no argument from me.)

The illegitimate son of the only Mexican president ever to recover a bit of land from the United States was a friend of mine when I lived there. It was an itty bitty bit of land, but he (Emilio Portes Gil, 73rd President of Mexico, in office from 1 Dec 1928 to 5 Feb 1930) was very popular for it. He wanted his son to go into politics, but the son (my friend) had no interest in politics. He spent his life in a regular job and was retired and an old man when I knew him, about a dozen years ago.

Attached Files:

8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe. But, on a long term basis, it's just not going to work to insist that each region be self sufficient in everything. That's what mutually beneficial trade is for. Now, if only Southern California could export its excess sunshine. :cool:

9. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    One reason this division won't fly is that Mono county is a major source of water for LA. The eastern Sierras drain to LA (with a lot of help from water projects). If you want to see political clout, just study the LA Department of Water and Power (DWP).

It wouldn't surprise me if Columbia river water ends up on LA lawns some time in the next few decades. They've only got the plumbing done from Shasta county so far, but that's about half way.

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I just don't like California. Especially L.A. ;)

11. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Parts of it are beautiful. Maybe not LA so much, but I've never had an extended visit there. My first visit to California was by bicycle, down the coast. Being a West Coast boy, it's not like I'd never seen crashing surf and big trees before, but it was very pretty and left a lasting impression. My only trip to LA was a brief stopover between trains. I took a walk from the station as far as the nearest freeway overpass, shook my head in disgust, and walked back. I'm surprised bottled oxygen isn't in vogue yet.

12. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Never trust air you can't see...:cool:

13. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Washington, DC has been trying to get statehood, I think mostly so that the people in power there can get a two senate seats. Half of DC was ceded back to Virginia in 1847, and the proposal to cede the rest back to MD was turned down by MD, and the people who stood to get the power from governing the new state protested as well.

The DC license plate says "Taxation Without Representation," which is their battle cry. I have suggested to some politicians that, if DC does not get representation, then DC residents should not have a federal income tax, like Puerto Rico. Of course they don't like that idea, because they only care about getting the power inherent in representation - they are politicians, after all - and are not really concerned about those they might represent.

It seems to be an easier issue to separate Californias, but this has been brought up many times in the past without resolution, so not likely.