1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Proposal to charge in my condo garage

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by MNdriver, Jun 5, 2017.

1. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    The standard current the car will draw at 110-120V is 12A however, you have a setting option to limit it to 8A. If the line you are planning to use shares another device - 8A could be a viable option to eliminate breaker tripping.
    The electrician can assess your situation/options and give you answers.
    In general, don't raise hands and go for it after consulting with your electrician, if correctly presented it has good chances to be approved (electrician written report may increase confidence in the proposal).

2. MNdriver

MNdriver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Oh, wow, that's great to hear! In the 3 weeks I've had the car, I've only charged it by, well, just plugging it in. So if you actually use the software to set the charge to begin at a certain time, you can also select 8 amp? Wunderbar!

I appreciate your advice. I will definitely have the proposal proofed, if not actually written, by someone electricity knowledgeable. I have a friend who is an electrical engineer who owes me a favor. :)

3. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    No he doesn't. You don't understand the situation. That would be someone else's power he would be using.

IF......there are any outlets anywhere in the parking area, the it IS doable; that is, the new wires could take the same path.
    But the cost might be prohibitive.

4. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Somehow I feel it is you that didn'to_O
    Bisco's poat #18 was an addendum to his post #16 and it seems he did understand the situation. Post #17 went in between...(y)

bisco likes this.
  5. Prius from Dad

Prius from Dad Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    He means the 110 outlet option.

bisco likes this.
  6. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    As an electrical engineer (not licensed in Minnesota, though, or providing specific advice), I think the technical issues are simple enough—a dedicated branch circuit from a panelboard with sufficient capacity, a receptacle outlet or hard-wired charger appropriately protected for the environment, and a separate utility service or some other way to measure your usage—but I can think of some other questions that deserve serious thought:

Does your state law require condominium associations to provide for EV charging, and if so, might this help you convince your association to go along with your plan? Here in California, for example, the Legislature enacted SB 880 in 2012 on this subject.

Is it lawful in your state to resell electricity through a sub-meter? Are there any legal requirements that apply to such sales? Is a meter with specific characteristics required? Could you just buy an old revenue meter on eBay, seal it in a meter can, and agree that it’s close enough?

How would the electricity cost be figured? What happens if the utility’s rates go up or down? What about a more complicated change in the utility’s rate structure, like time-of-use or demand metering, or a special rate for EV charging? Consider that the association might choose make such a change, or it could be required by the utility.

Do you own the specific parking space the charging installation would serve, or does the association have the right to move you to another space? If there is such a right, and it’s exercised, would you get to recover your stranded costs? What happens if you sell your unit? Would the buyer take over your rights and obligations?

Who would be responsible for maintenance? If this is shared, exactly which components would be your responsibility, and which the association’s? Would the association have to maintain their components to keep the system working? Would there be any situation in which the other party could step in to make repairs, or just remove the installation altogether, and who would pay for this? Who would be allowed to do the work? Any licensed electrician, or would they have to have specific insurance, be approved by the association, or both? Who would be liable for injuries or damage, during the installation or later? (Consider that the building, your car, and other cars could potentially be damaged.) Would you have to maintain liability insurance with certain coverages or policy limits, and is this available at a reasonable premium?

Who would pay if the installation or part of it has to be removed and reinstalled, perhaps with costly modifications, for an unrelated repair or renovation? If the installation were to be removed, would you be required to restore the building to its previous condition, and how would this be determined?

To help answer these questions, I’d suggest talking with a lawyer, and also the electric utility serving your area. The utility could tell you about any special rates for EV charging, of course, and also give you an idea of their initial and recurring charges for a separate meter, if it’s necessary or advantageous to go that route. The service planner might also know about other EV charging installations in condominiums nearby.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    as far as tapping into an existing circuit that is supplying power elsewhere, is that a condo or owner circuit? i'm guessing condo since it's in the garage. then your new meter would allow you to reimburse them.

8. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    Here, where I live, the power company in the neighboring town Littleton, have put up free charging stations at locations to promote alternative energy. One location is a the local Toyota dealership, hey, all the dealership had to do was allow the power company to make modifications to their property.

Maybe a discussion with your local power provider could be revealing. It would be neat if they could install and the charging station and provide the power. You would also need your condo association to be in favor of this, to allow the power company to make alterations to the property.

Your power company may have a PR department, look at what they are doing (peruse their material). They may already be doing something.

jp

MNdriver likes this.
  9. MNdriver

MNdriver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You guessed right. Using the meter to reimburse the condo is exactly what I had in mind. And I found the reference re: lowering draw to 8 amp in the manual. Nice to know about that option if needed.

Elecktroingenieur, you're giving me a lot to think about. We do not have the same law for condos, but we know about yours! I'm hoping that this can be a headshake type of thing. One good thing, the president of our board knows what I'm up to and is supportive. Also, a wonderful website resource re: introducing EV charging in multiunit dwellings; I'm going to include some of the case studies in my proposal.

Home

10. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    When you do it well, and your results are available locally, that will help other MN PEHV owners smooth their Condos feathers.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  11. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This all sounds like a lot of money to get very, very little. No pay off at all. I figure that charging my battery saves me about 1/3rd gallon of gas each charge. You will never pay off the cost of the electrician, wiring, meter, anything else.

12. MNdriver

MNdriver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Probably true, but it's not totally about the money for me. Avoiding pumping gas during the frigid Minnesota winters is worth a lot. :)

The electrician is coming by Saturday morning, so hopefully I'll know soon how feasible this will be, and whether it's worth writing that proposal.

13. MNdriver

MNdriver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well, I got the checkered flag yesterday. I'll soon be able to charge at home.

The bad news is that I'll be forced to install a dedicated circuit - which, in my garage, means running a line waaaay across the garage from the east wall to the west wall. But it's worth it to me, so I'm going to do it.

Here are the details, should anyone else face this situation.

1) I purchase a EKM kWh meter - I got the cheaper model where the use is read on the meter display as opposed to the fancier version that can send data to a computer. The meter will be installed just above my new outlet on a 20 amp dedicated circuit.

2) I will prepay a good faith estimate of my use through January 1. I don't yet know how much this will be. Apparently condo buildings are charged differently for general building use from residential rates, and I don't know which of two possible rates applies yet.

3) We'll use that first 5 months experience to determine a monthly charge that I'll pay starting January 1 along with my HOA fees.

The board was supportive in general. The big hurdle was that they wanted to 'stay out of the accounting' so they were pushing to have me install a separate utility meter through Xcel. That is not in the cards financially. With my proposal for payment, their involvement in the financial aspect is minimal.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Congrats, that's exciting!

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What do the smart and non smart meters cost?

16. MNdriver

MNdriver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The 'non-smart' is $90. The smart ones start at $160. The EKM meters have been recommended to me by a number of sources - looks like the ideal solution for a condo or apartment complex that wants a casual approach to individual monitoring.

bisco likes this.
  17. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Congrats. It would have been so easy for them to have just said no. You must have presented a very good argument. In the long run you will be very pleased.

MNdriver likes this.