1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Proposed Improvements For Future Prius Plugin

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by cproaudio, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They already do have it on the LS. I think our system was from the last generation LS.

2. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    At the Green Drive Expo, I've seen a couple of Plugin Supply 10KW system sitting on top of the spare tire with the tire still in the car. It's a matter of designing a lift system to lift the batteries up to gain access to the spare tire. If Toyota redesign the trunk area to have the spare tire ratchet down from under then a spare can be attached to the car from underneath.

3. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It seems you are confusing the 4KWh system with the 10KWh system.

FAQ - Plug-In Supply

"Can I access the spare tire?
    The 4 kW-hr system is housed in a steel enclosure that can rotate upwards on gas springs to allow access to the spare tire. The 10 kW-hr system requires a larger steel enclosure that covers the spare tire well. With the 10 kW-hr system, there is no access to the spare tire in its original location."

4. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I was at the green drive expo. I've seen the 4KW and the 10KW kit and I can tell the difference between them. The 4KW kit uses headway cylindrical cells. The 10KW kit uses 40ah prismatic cells. There was a Gen II Prius with 10 KW kit at the show that the owner had made a screw rod to lift the battery pack so he could get to the spare tire. Another car with 10KW kit at the show that also had the spare tire under the battery but did not have the means to lift the battery to access the tire. It can be done. Also the 4KW kit is no longer in steel case. It's plastic and lexan.