1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Protecting HID lights from thieves

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Subversive, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Subversive

Subversive New Member

Is it possible to etch the VIN onto the HIDs in such a way that it may deter thieves?

Would "PIAA Light Locks" be helpful? They appear to be locking 10mm X 1.5mm mounting bolts. What size mounting bolts do the Prius HIDs use?

What will work? (Or at least might work?)

2. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Subversive @ Apr 29 2006, 06:09 PM) [snapback]247350[/snapback]</div>
    A VIN number is only useful if law enforcement personnel go to the effort to check. I doubt a set of HIDs is important enough for police to try to find.

And thieves steal entire cars, which have VIN numbers stamped in a lot of places. They don't care.

The locking bolts might help, but if thieves have torn apart your hood to get to the lights I doubt they'll stop there. They'll either rip further till the bolts come loose...or they'll get furious and smash the HIDs. Either way, you've lost them.

3. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    a fake "warning. headlight is armed" sticker?

or get a hood lock?

or cover your foglights so it's not visible.

5. Subversive

Subversive New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Apr 30 2006, 04:41 AM) [snapback]247493[/snapback]</div>
    Does anyone have any suggestions for a Prius hood lock?

6. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

The Prius hood is so thin that a thief could easily bend up the corners and still get to the headlights.

Moral of the story... If a thief really wants your headlights, he'll get them. All you can do is delay him.

7. syncmaster

syncmaster Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ May 4 2006, 08:43 PM) [snapback]249969[/snapback]</div>
    i think the way the prius is set up, the alarm sensor is in the center front of the hood, so if a "low life" peels up the front corners of the hood to get at the screws for the headlight the alarm dosen't go off.
    So if you move the alarm sensor to the corners the alarm will sound if the hood is peeled up.

So you will still have a bent up hood but it should make the thief move on and you will have alot less damage.

I think this should be pretty easy to do but I haven't had the time to look into it.

I am sure a alarm shop would be able to do this pretty easy.

I am not positive about this alarm sensor thing, but if you read the postings about stolen HID lights they claim that the alarm was not triggered.