1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Protecting my Bumpers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tbullock, Aug 21, 2006.

1. emailcurt

emailcurt New Member

FYI got the color matches today and Inferno Red is a good match for 07 Barcelona Red

2. christob

christob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately, Boo, I think you may have a problem---that hole isn't just an access hole---there is a threaded hook (for lack of a better term) that screws into the 'socket' behind that cover---the hook (which should be located back with the gear along with your spare tire) is then what the towtruck grabs onto.
    But, as far as I recall, that is only in the event they have to hoist your car up onto a flatbed... if it is a "traditional" towtruck, that can hoist your front wheels, you don't need that tow-hole-hook.

PS---got the Brite Silver sample, and some others, and I believe it is the right choice to match the Silver on my Prius.

3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChristoB @ Jul 18 2007, 02:17 PM) [snapback]481040[/snapback]</div>
    Uh-oh :( . But many thanks for the info. Very much appreciated. Now I have to come up with a solution. Any suggestions? What will you be doing when you install your front bumper guards?

4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Loail @ Jul 16 2007, 07:19 PM) [snapback]479901[/snapback]</div>
    Loail,

WARNING: See my supplementary post about my partially covering the tow hole with the front bumper guard. One member replied that if I ever have to get towed by a flat bed truck, a tow hook that is supplied with our Prius needs to get screwed into that hole which is threaded.

5. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boo @ Jul 18 2007, 03:02 PM) [snapback]481085[/snapback]</div>
    FOLLOW UP:

I went back to the owner's manual. It suggests that you only need that hole and hook in the odd emergency situation where you have to get towed with a rope/chain through the hook (e.g., if you're stuck in a deep ditch or underwater).

I also went back to my car and tried prying back the bumperstrip to remove the plug and access the hole, and found that it was easy to do --- notwithstanding the 3M super-duper glue, I was able to pry back the bumperstrip with my fingers.

So all in all, I'm not worried any longer. The bumperstrip stays where it is. Although if I could have a do-over ....

6. Y. Zhou

Y. Zhou New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I saw your notice too late, but I had already recognized the problem when I was prepping to install the front bumper protectors. I decided that in all likelihood if I ever needed a tow truck it would be due to serious damage from an accident, and the last thing I'd be worried about is having to cut/pry off part of the front bumperguard. In most cases anyway, a regular hitch tow-truck would have no problem anyway, and a flat bed could just drag my car up backwards. right? So I ended up doing the exact same thing you did.

Good news is the flint mica grey is a perfect match! The bumperguards are pretty much invisible to me from more than 8 feet. I had some difficulty cutting them because I decided not to order their special scissors, but I managed okay in the end with some sort of heavy duty pruning shears :D

I do have one concern though: there was some water on the roof of the car before the installation, and right after installing the back protector I had to drive somewhere. Apparently I had not pressed down hard enough on the very top of a small section near the corner of the car, and some water rolled in so that when I press down hard a little comes out. I tried to get in there with some tissues to soak out as much as I could, but it still isn't sticking very well... but only at the very top of the strip. The rest of it seems quite well stuck on. My concern is: will debri/gunk/water get stuck in the gap and continue to mess up the 3M tapes hold on my car, and/or perhaps even hurt the paint?

When I have the time I'll take some pictures and post them up. Thanks for all the ideas and help guys, especially Boo.

P.S. I live in Forest Hills, Queens; are you close by Boo? Whatever the case, we should "bump Priuses" sometime and compare our handywork.

7. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Loail @ Jul 20 2007, 08:18 PM) [snapback]482548[/snapback]</div>
    Loail,

Congrats. Sounds like your car looks great with the perfectly color matched bumper guards.

Regarding that little gap -- wonder what type of glue would be best for you to use to try to restick it. Either way, it's hard for me to imagine that mere water or gunk getting in there would harm either the 3M sticky stuff or the paint job. I know I'm not worried about that on my front bumperstrip where I pryed it back with my fingers to see if I could do it if necessary to unplug the tow hole and screw in the eye/tow hook.

Regarding towing by flat bed truck, I think they wouldn't normally need to access that tow hole/hook to do it. I know my prior car had an access tow hole/hook and was towed several times by a flat bed truck, and we never had to use that tow hole/hook to hoist the car onto the flat bed truck.

BTW, my side moldings came in yesterday and I'll probably be installing and posting pictures of them this weekend.

P.S. I'm sitting here in Stuyvesant Town watching the Yankees losing to the Devil Rays 9-0. So I'm relatively close. Next time I know that I'm going to be in or near your neighborhood (I go to Flushing often enough to eat), I'll contact you about maybe doing a NYC parallel park (tapping bumpers) of my Prius next to yours --- no worries, we're both protected now!

8. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Loail @ Jul 20 2007, 08:18 PM) [snapback]482548[/snapback]</div>
    Loail and All:

I thought you might be interested in seeing how my Prius looks with the BumperDefender.com 2" wide, full width, color matched front and rear bumper guard strips, and the PriusChat Shop body side moldings:

[attachmentid=10026]

[attachmentid=10027]

[attachmentid=10028]

Re the side moldings --- I followed the seller's instructions. But If I could have a do-over, I would probably install the body side moldings at a greater rake or angle than the seller instructed.

9. christob

christob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm getting more and more convinced to add them... thanks for sharing the pics, and the prior tips/lessons learned!

10. topkick

topkick Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I sent for and received the color sample from bumperdefender.com (they only have one black) and I can't really decide! I have a Black 2007 and the color is close but just not quite as shiny. Has anyone with a Black put on the bumper guards from bumperdefender?

I may just have to order them and see. One problem that I have is I had a clear Bra put on and I don't even want to think about putting the guards on the front and then maybe taking them off. That would not have a good effect on the 3M sheet on the front bumpter, and it's too costly to have the clear bra redone.

Anyway just thinking out loud here, would really like to hear from anyone that has a black and put the bumperdefender.com guards on.

Jim