1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Proud of my Prius Snow Performance

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by journeygirl1, Dec 22, 2004.

1. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, & Drapanos, Crete, G
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(allenlux\";p=\"60074)</div>
    Yes Winter tyre are a must here too. Have an accident in winter on summer tyres and you will be in deep poo poo!

I have just called my dealer as I need to get mine ordered and fitted, (they were not available last time I asked, and I was away for 3 weeks), as we had 4 inches or so of snow last night. I was quoted EURO 750 for tyres, rims and fitting. Storage of the summer tyres will be about EURO 25.

2. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I so like many of the German driving laws - like no passing on the right . . . but, are you saying winter tires are requried by law?

3. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Note that the OEMs seem fine on the flat in snow and crud and once moving weren't a problem. It is the starts from a dead or near stop on a slope that did me in.

4. KCPrius

KCPrius Member

Here in Kansas City, we just had 12 hours of rain with the tempsat or below 32, followed by 12 hours of sleet with the temps in the mid 20's. The Prius did just as good at getting around as the biggest SUV. In fact, it gave me enough information to get me a bit scared. As I said, getting moving was not a problem. Quite easy in fact. I was going down a hill at about 28 mph and decided to test the braking...put them on and the little light that says "I know you want to stop, and I'm trying my damndest to get you stopped, but you're on ice pal" came on. The car slowed down slowly, but it was slowing down, and it tracked arrow straight. My concern was that if the light at the bottom of the hill was red, and the Hummers and Expeditions were lulled into a "the roads are fine" mentality, I would have had one of them in my back seat.

But the more I drove, the more amazing it was. Turning onto a main street, going thru some slush/ice from the snow plows, I heard a "doorbell" like sound and notice that the VSC kicked in. Got home just fine as well. The more I drive this car the more impressed I am with it.

5. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I slowly slid about 50' right past my driveway Sunday night on the ice. I figured I was starting to slow with the brakes at about the right point for the conditions, but I didn't slow much. No other cars on the road so I just did some slow brake and release and let physics do the rest. Even on ice there is some friction and it wasn't thick so there were probably patches of asphalt or dirt or whatever to grab on. :) Backed up just fine into the driveway.

Of course the driveway was a sheet of ice too so I used up the rest of my ice melter and headed to the store for more. Passed the salt truck on my way out of the neighborhood. No problem stopping at the driveway the next time! Spread the stuff on the driveway, it was 39F the next morning, so I guess it was a waste (this time).

6. prius04

prius04 New Member

My Prius surely saved me 2 to 4 grand this morning.

It was snowing heavily and up to about 5 inches with the roads erratically plowed because it's still snowing. I'm on a suburban urban street and I look ahead and about 100 yards is a car clearly with the brakes locked and the front wheels aimed away from me, but it's coming right at me. I'm doing 35 because I've felt nary a slip in this snow on my 40 minute drive to work.

I slam on my brakes and all the alarms go off for VSC and the ABS. But still we'll be hitting at about 25 MPH for each vehicle at head on unless I do something. So I aim for the 15 inches or so of snow put there by the plow on my right -- but I can't go too far without going into a ditch. The Prius moves perfectly without a hint of slippage.

I'm over as far as I can and I'm almost positive I'm going to be swiped anyway by that other car. Well at least it's a lot better than head on. But they miss me by entirely. No thud at all.

Now a new problem. I'm still doing about 20-25 MPH and if I stay in this snow bank I'll be hitting a telephone pole at maybe 10MPH. I doubt I have the traction to do it, but I swing back into my lane of traffic.

I move back into my original lane perfectly. Neither car gets hit at all. There was no one behind me, and the car behind the other driver never lost control. The car that almost hit me barely kissed the snow bank on my side of the road. He or she could easily just get back into traffic.

Wow, was I impressed. There is no doubt in my mind that any other car I've ever owned would NOT have survived that maneuver --with absolutely no slippage -- like the Prius did.

I continued on to work but then felt I should have stopped to tell that other driver to go get ABS and VSC, and if they can't do that, then LEARN TO PUMP YOUR BRAKES, which that driver clearly did not do.

And if you don't know how to pump your brakes in a skid, THEN GO HOME UNTIL APRIL!!!!

What a car!!!! This was my second impressive episode with the Prius in the snow in the last 2 weeks.

7. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If you are on the brakes, even ABS, and still sliding out of control, sometimes the answer is to get OFF the brakes. They are trying to keep the tires from turning much and they don't grab the snow. Assuming it isn't glare ice, letting the tires turn will get some traction and control. I actually did this going into my driveway a few weeks ago. Sliding straight for the fence post. Way too slow for VSC to care. Foot off the brake and viola, left turn.

I'm sure that is how my neighbor ended up with a new car a couple of years ago. She said she hit the guard rail of the 1 lane bridge near our house. Brakes on, couldn't stop in time, slid right into it.

8. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Jayman, I too just bought Dunlop Graspics along with steel wheels and had them installed this past Monday. So far this winter, (knock on wood) we haven't had any ice or snow in the Washington, DC area but knowing that this area doesn't handle that type of weather with much aplomb I went ahead and ordered the tires from Tire Rack.

I agree for the most part so far I've been able to tell after a week with your observations of the tires. My question has to do with tire inflation. I have been running with 40psi front and 38 rear in the Integritys so I had Goodyear (where the tires and wheels were delivered for installation) put the same amounts into the Graspics. Are other folks out there inflating their ice/snow tires similarly or are you using a different approach and if so based on what reasons?
    Thanks! Randy

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hi Randy:

I've noticed the biggest traction gain on glare ice and in deep snow - especially deep snow OVER glare ice. Unlike all-season tires, the traction doesn't appear to become worse at frigid temps of -30 C or colder.

I was told by my Toyota dealer to follow the door jamb inflation, to keep more of the tread in contact with the road. I did try inflating them to 44F 41R (Max cold is 44psi on the Dunlop Graspic DS-2) and noticed the glare ice performance suffers. I guess Dunlop must have sent that information to dealers that install Graspic winter tires.

Still way better than all-season, but there is a difference on glare ice if you keep them at 44F 41R versus 33 F 30 R. I figure at city speeds of 60 km/h and slower, it won't hurt anything running them at factory specs.

Do you also find the steering response a bit numb? It's easy enough to get used to.

10. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Gave the VSC system a real test the last two days in Chicago area...lost of snow. I am VERY impressed with the handling of the car. I tested it out on empty roads/parking lots first and then felt confident to drive in the traffic.

I normally drive 30K miles per year and this is the best handling car I've had (others were Ford Tauruses).

I am impressed.

11. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Re: NOT Proud of my Prius Snow Performance

NOOOOO. I hate my VSC, TC and ABS. It takes all the fun out of winter driving. I went to the parking lot to do some donuts and skids to test the handling, but nothing. Dammit. I enjoy a few well maneuvered slides now and then.

Seriously though, I too am very am impressed with how much you can maneuver and not slide. I do however wish there was an off button. I was the first one to work today, and the lot had not been plowed. I stopped in about 8" of snow waiting for the gate to open. Then I couldn't get started as the TC wouldn't let me turn the tires. I really had to do some rocking to get through it when all I needed was a little bit of spin. Once I was able to get a running start, it was no problem though.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Had our first significant snowfall of the season (read actual accumulation). The tyres are okay but aren't really the best of tyres. I've had understeer making a left without intrusion of the electronics (don't know if that's a good thing or not). It seems VSC only corrects oversteer (even though it's supposed to do both) cause I was able to induce understeer quite easily without any beeping. I need a large empty lot to test out the electronics and get familiar with the handling of the vehicle in snow

13. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    8) Well we got a little ice and we got a little snow. My 04 Prius just go go go. Honestly, I put Goodyear Comfort Treds on it and I have yet to hit a ditch.

The new channels here in Omaha, NE were commenting about most all the vehicles in ditches here were 4x4's.

Ben

Have TC but no VSC........

14. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ah, another west coaster :)

My 04 also performed wondefully in the snow today. I wasn't at all worried about losing control (I was more worried about OTHER people losing control and plowing into me). Lots of people in Vancouver just don't have a clue about how to drive on snow.

In hindsight though, I could've taken skytrain to work and been there faster, but it wouldn't have been as much fun, and I was really curious to see how the ABS/VSC/TC would perform in the snow (no issues).

Dave

15. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Re: NOT Proud of my Prius Snow Performance

Are you still on the OEMs? And is it fairly flat or steep at the gate? 8" of unplowed snow is a lot given the road clearance is 4.9".

I'm going to start a new thread for my TripleTred (put on yesterday) vs OEM experience

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Bruce:

When I still had on the Michelin Harmony, it didn't matter if I was on a grade or parked on level ground. Any sort of snow +4 inches and it wouldn't move. The VSC would be flashing, and yes, the Trac works in reverse too.

A lot of that had to do with the colder temps. A tire with a long rated treadlife suffers performance loss in colder temps, especially colder than -20 C. Those foolish enough to run all-season at -30 to -40 C appear to have racing slicks on, they're all over the road.

With the two back-to-back blizzards behind me, I can state with the Dunlop Graspic DS-2, you can easily plow through 12 inches of snow. You can stop, and start again without bogging. The car will hesitate a bit, but the VSC icon isn't flashing. A bit more pedal and away you go.

Like any car, the snow tends to build up in recessed areas under the shell, around the wheel wells, especially up around that small recessed place for the spare tire, and in front up against the radiator and the engine bay.

I'm planning on driving out to my hobby farm tonight after work, and will let you know at what snow depth I get stuck. A nice neighbor with a plow made a quick pass so I can get in, but the rest of the yard is drifted over.

I love having a little fun with my Prius on the streets: the snow clearing has left glare ice on the edges and the crown is mostly bare. I'll be at a red light beside a 4WD, when it turns green I smoothly sail off and he's back there still spinning.

17. KCPrius

KCPrius Member

<<The new channels here in Omaha, NE were commenting about most all the vehicles in ditches here were 4x4's.>>

That's not just an Omaha thing....it's the same in most places in the US!

18. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just back up a hundred feet hit the "last got stuck" place at speed, you should be able to get all the way in after doing that a few times! :) Maybe Coastal Dave can make a little "cow catcher" like plow for our Prii. Just enough to ensure 4.9" max height snow. ;-)

19. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Haha! But if not, then YOU push!

20. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You could probably shovel the whole yard with a teaspoon by the time I got all the way to Winnipeg to help push!