1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Proud of my Prius Snow Performance

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by journeygirl1, Dec 22, 2004.

1. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'd be really happy if some enterprising entrepreneur (Dave @ Coastal, perhaps?) realized that there might be a market for and on/off switch for the TC. I'd be first in line to give it a try. Ya listening, Dave?

2. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Jayman...Yeah, I also noticed that the feel of the steering changed a bit after putting on the Graspics. The car ride definitely feels like it's running smoother and somewhat quieter than how the Integritys felt. I'm thinking that is mostly due to the softer compounds of the tires not transmitting road effects to car.
    So are you now running 33F/30R in your Graspics? Have you noticed any adverse effect on gas mileage since installation?

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hi Randy:

Mine also rides softer, which is nice over potholes!

I run 33 F and 30 R. Compared to the Michelin Harmony, on a given stretch of Trans Canada, the MFD claims I'll use 5.3 liters per 100 km. With the Michelin Harmonies under somewhat similar conditions, 5.1.

A difference of almost 3 MPG. That's on the highway, in city traffic there is no difference.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Jayman, I now understand your experience with the Prius on a snowy ramp. I (without thinking) stopped on a hill and when I tried to start off, it wouldn't budge. I moved maybe a max of a cm or two. I had to slide back down the hill.

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Join the club, we've got jackets ...

Yep, it completely took me by surprise the first time it happened. I actually thought it had croaked on me again.

After a few of those incidents, and given how long winter lasts here, the snow tires became a top priority. Since I put on the snow tires, the icy parking ramps are nothing to fear.

6. pepa

pepa New Member

We just got through major snow storm here in Northern Illinois.

During these few days, I completely forgave Toyota for not including VSC OFF switch. For what Prius did for me in that mess out there, I'll be happy to push it up my iced driveway anytime :mrgreen:

7. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Pepa,
    After driving all through and around Chicago in the snow this last week I have nothing but respect for the Toyota Prius' handling in snow/ice. I have OEM tires too.

8. tag

tag Senior Member

Same area, same respect! :D

My Prius had abolutely no problem handling a turn on the snow-packed, ice-based turn near my house that caused my son's CR-V to fishtail almost out of control. So far, I'm perfectly satisfied with the car's capabilies on slippery surfaces (OEM tires and all).

9. mmalar97

mmalar97 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just bought 8 blizzack 60's for both my 07 and 08 Prius'. How do they handle on ice and snow?

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've used the Blizzak on other cars, and have used the Dunlop Graspic DS-2 and Yokohama Ice Guard 10 on my Prius, currently using studded Goodyear Nordic from Canadian Tire.

The Nordic is the same as the Ultra Grip 500 sold in Europe, a respected winter tire.

The Blizzak will provide much better snow traction, and better ice traction, compared to the "all season" tires. A modern studded winter tire will provide better ice traction, and comparable snow traction