1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PSI for tires rated with higher PSI.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SWprius08, May 9, 2011.

1. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    fwiw, I'm noticing more treadwear now that I'm working in the next town over (more miles per month). Even at near 50 psi I'm seeing pretty even tire wear with what looks like more wear in the center.

Maybe the shoulders had thicker tread to begin with or it is an optical illusion, I haven't bothered to measure it yet.

2. Tony Rico

Tony Rico Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I run the Nokian WRG2 for over a year. A little more noise, and a little drop in mpg, which I would attribute to running them at 35/33psi. I really like them and made a difference in how I drive and my car performs. They were made in Russia who should know a lot about driving in bad conditions. I concede that higher psi such as 42/40 or more will result in better mileage, but I live in Northwestern Michigan where we still have snow on the ground. I don't want to endanger my family just to get a couple of extra mpgs. And, I don't want to risk our safety just to find out if the traction is still OK at the higher psi. Anybody have insight as to what the higher pressure means to traction on snow/ice/wet?