1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PSI Question, 30 Front 44 Rear?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tamim, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Tamim

Tamim .

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey does anyone know if I run my tires at 30 PSI front and 44 PSI rear if it would be safe to drive like that? My front tires have more tread than my rear so I need to wear them down a bit to get the warranty.

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I would not consider that pressure difference to be safe. When braking you are going to have lots of front end grip with marginal rear grip, you will also likely get lots of oversteer.

Another thing to consider is that your MPG will take a dive more than offsetting "in the cost of fuel used" any rebate you may get on your tyres.

John (Britprius)

3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hmmm. For safety sake I would not run low pressure on your tires. You will do more damage than good. Why not simply replace the two rear tires and then run the correct pressure on all four? If you are getting the work done under warranty through a tire dealer, it will cost you less to get the two tires than you will for the four. Besides that, if the tires come in worn out unevenly (corners bald and center real thick), the tire dealer may not warrant them due to abuse/neglect. Tire dealers are kind of funny when it comes down to obvious neglect. Air pressure and alignments is one thing that is the owner's responsibility. If the owner neglects those things, sometimes the dealer/warrantor will not owner the warranty.

4. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Generally don't use PSI to compensate for wear. Should have rotated them more frequently to keep them evenly worn.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how do you get the warranty?

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  7. SalixIncendium

SalixIncendium Tree Hugging Environmentalist Wacko

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Let me get this straight. We're manipulating tire inflation to get a warranty coverage due to buyer negligence?

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Aye, I stopped reading when I read that the higher tread tires were in the front. Then I read the part about warranty fraud. LOL

9. SalixIncendium

SalixIncendium Tree Hugging Environmentalist Wacko

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If that is indeed the case, I find it in poor taste and judgment to dignify the OP with a response.

Unless one wishes to offer a lesson in personal responsibility...

...or perhaps I just did.

10. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Since Prius is front wheel drive, it would make sense for her to wear them down more.

11. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The location of the drive wheels does not dictate where the tires with more tread are placed from a safety standpoint. If the OP is trying to wear them down faster on purpose then that is a different story and I will not provide advice for such intentions.

SalixIncendium likes this.
  12. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That is why I wrote what I did. I suggested that the OP buy two new tires. I also pointed out that it appears that the OP has neglected his/her responsibilities concerning ownership responsibilities of said tires. I may not have directly stated it that way, but if you read between the lines it should be clear what I was implying.

I also agree that for the best traction, if you have tires that do not have equal tread depth - the newer tires (thicker tread) should always be on the rear end. Tests have proven that it helps to keep the rear end from spinning around in a catastrophic event.

Saving a buck is a good thing, but to do it at a possible risk is unwise.

F8L likes this.
  13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree, my friend.

Sometimes what I write is not aimed directly at anyone in particular but instead, it is meant for the broader audience who may be reading this thread. There are probably hundreds of lurkers for every active member. :)

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my local mechanic, who usually does a pretty good job, still thinks the better tread should go on the drive wheels. it's just what common sense tells you and was proven wrong thru testing. unfortunately, many professionals don't keep up with scientific advances. he also adds the recommended amount of oil and doesn't think the overfill makes any difference.:rolleyes:

15. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have no doubt that many will read and never post. I read for a long time before I ever posted. As long as good, safe, and practical information is shared it is all good.

16. Tamim

Tamim .

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well I had my tires rotated every 5,000 miles and an alignment every 18,000. My two front tires are 5/32 5/32 but my rear are 3/32 2/32

The guy at the tire shop said I couldn't warranty them unless all 4 were worn to 2/32. These tires have a 80,000 5 year warranty but I've only driven 30,000 on them in 2 years.

17. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're letting their warranty policy make you do a dumb thing. Don't do it. Keep all tires inflated properly.

If you never rotate the tites the front two will naturally wear out first. Then buy two new ones for the rear. That way the best tread will always be at the rear, which is safest.

18. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So what's he claiming, that unless there's exactly even wear on all four then there's no warranty? You could just keep running the 5/32" thread ones on the front (at correct pressure) and they're still gonna wear faster than the rears anyway. But then the rears will go under 2/32 and be dangerous, so it's not a good situation.

Those tire warranties always seem dubious to me. Sometimes I think they way over inflate the projected mileage to sell the tires, knowing that if anyone manages to ever claim on it then they've probably already made enough money on unnecessary alignments to cover it anyway. That and it's only pro-rated and you have to buy another set of tires from them to claim.

19. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Tamim,

I don't want to sound rude or condescending however you are letting your tire shop dictate to you how to run your life. If the tires they sold you did not last for at least 1/2 of the rated warranty amount that should raise a red flag. Furthermore, based on the information you have provided it sounds like they are not willing to prorate the other tires whereas you can get a "FULL" set of tires.

If I was in your shoes, I would go somewhere else rather than do business with the vendor you chose. A good reasonable tire dealer will prorate tires based on tread depth remaining.

If possible, please post the brand name and model of these tires. That way other Prius driver's can avoid them in the future.

20. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tires with the most tread should be on the front. They have the most weight on them, most load on them,
    and unlike the rears they turn in all road conditions so easiest tire compared to the rears for it to break loose from traction.