1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Public Charger Courtesy

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by hill, Apr 25, 2012.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I got to park next to a PiP just a couple days ago, at the mall. The PiP wasn't even plugged in, but taking up the charge stall because it was the closest parking spot. This was at "The City" Mall - Bordering Santa Ana and the city of Orange. Ok - which one of you WAS it ... c'mon ... fess up. :rolleyes:
    Fortunately, the converted paddle charger / converted to J1772 by Schneider (thanks Schneider!), has a VERY long charge cable at that location - so I was able to reach it any way. The gal came out as I was going into the shopping center. No, I didn't say anything ... didn't give the stink-eye or anything condescending. I did say, "I LOVE your car!" ... and "good thing the charge cord is so long". Hopefully that did the trick. The parkig lot is hardly EVER even half full - so I'm thinking in LARGE parking lots, you can kiss off courtesy. Sheesh ... every (wo)man for him/her self, eh?

2. SKrueger

SKrueger New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    You'll find it gets even worse. The mall I was at Sunday, out of 4 EV parking spots, mine was the only EV vehicle. The other 3 spots were filled with pickup trucks and SUV's. Even though EV parking spots, just like handicap spots, are supposed to be regulated by code it seems that there is zero enforcement.

3. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The public library. Ear my house has 6 "hybrid only" parking spots that are always taken by SUV's and other cars. Really is annoying. What can be done? If you call the cops they'd probably laugh at you or just not come.

4. crewdog

crewdog Acting Ensign Prius Prime

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  5. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I went to gettysburg a few weeks back, and at the museum they have a parking section for "green" vehicles, hybrid, electric alt fuel etc..

Well anyway it was full of "regular" cars and trucks, and luckily there was one spot left that I took. I was going to say something to the people inside, but it probably wouldn't have done any good.

6. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    How about this, at the parking garage in the building next to me, 4 ChargePoint stations, all 4 of them where ICEd, however, the parking garage attendants have the keys, so they can move the vehicles, if an EV or PHEV needs to charge:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. timdsd

timdsd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yesterday, I wanted to charge up at Ikea in San Diego, but two Car2Go cars were occupying the charging spots. Blink Network told me they will soon start charging real dollars for a charge. They will charge not just for the time your vehicle is actively charging, but for the entire time your car is attached to their charging station. If people come back to the station to disconnect the cable, hopefully they will have the courtesy to move their vehicle at the same time.

8. evfinder

evfinder Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ICEing, or parking an ICE car in an EV only charging spot, has been a big issue here in California since the old style chargers were installed back in 1997. The law here is that people who park at an EV charging station must be connected to the charger or they can be towed. The problem is that the law also requires a specifically worded sign and so far I haven't seen a single site that has the sign.

There are a few places that enforce anti-iceing laws, most notably in Santa Monica where you will get ticketed if you park in the EV charging spaces.

Things are likely to change once charging for charging is adopted widely. Suddenly the car parking and not connected is disrupting the revenue stream and that is going to push enforcement.

9. pfile

pfile Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    as a leaf owner i've had my nuts in a bunch about 'plugin optional' cars taking charging spots but clearly the problem is ICEing, just due to the fact that 99.99% of cars are ICE...

i long for the day that there are so many EVSEs around that this is no longer a concern...

10. davidbw

davidbw Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Re: Public Charger Courtesy, He may have been unplugged.

Someone else might have unplugged the car instead of the owner. That has happenned to me -- I was parked at a Blink charging station, and someone unplugged it in the middle of charging, while I was in the restaurant. The Blink charger emailed me that there was something wrong, so I went back and found the charging cord disconnected, but hanging over the slot. There were three other vacant Blink charging spots near by, and one each of the other two charging spaces...all empty, so it was not another plug in/electric vehicle person who did it.

11. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So I guess that's EV ENVY?:rolleyes: Too bad the charging systems don't have a PIN like banks use to turn off the charger, and give someone a nice jolt if they tried without it.:D

12. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    LMAO! I printed those out last year. Very handy here in Los Angeles where everyone is a VIP.

13. FUUFNF

FUUFNF Forum Lurker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This might be a silly question, but I'm a newb when it comes to public charging stations... Are they free or do you have to pay to use them?

14. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Depends on the specific charging station.

15. greenleaf

greenleaf Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I was at Google the other day and the number of EVSEs they have on campus is amazingly many.

16. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's a frustration for Prius owners, but it must be a serious problem for Leaf owners at times.

17. pfile

pfile Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unfortunately they are not open to the public. i wish chargepoint would just take them off their map! i think they do go away when you turn off 'restricted' chargers but the default is to show all chargers.

18. pfile

pfile Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    to add insult to injury, the first ICE'd EVSE parking i ever saw was in a walnut creek public parking garage... by an infiniti with dealer plates.

19. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I checked out a new ramp yesterday. They had cones placed in the charging-station spots, a not-so-subtle indication not to park there unless you're going to be plugging in. Good thing too, it looked like all the spots on that floor were full otherwise.

20. evfinder

evfinder Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's what they do at Century City Shopping Center in LA, it seems to be very effective. There are 6 GE chargers there but three of them are dedicated to Coda (they have an experience center there where you can test drive their sedan) but have 4 cars so one of the public spaces is permanently blocked. The other two stations are more often than not in use, I think that there is at least one Leaf owner that works at the Mall, the same car is there most times I visit the Mall.

I have sugested that they upgrade the old LPI charger by escalator 1 to J1772 but nothing has been done so far.