1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

public electric point

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by bajapat, Mar 31, 2012.

1. bajapat

bajapat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If your driving an EV car do you try to look for public points to plug in and use them??? would you go out of your way to go to a business to that had them?? say a golf course where you might spend 4+hours between golf and dinner afterwards?

Ps i had this else where but got no replies

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would not use the public charge points. I might patronize businesses that had them, just to show support for the concept. With 245 miles of range, I don't need public charging unless I'm on a road trip, and if I'm on a road trip I don't want to take the time to charge.

I don't golf, but I can see how this logic would apply to, e.g., going out to a restaurant. But my statement above applies.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Sometimes.
    Over the past 2 years, as PHEV's (the Volt, actually so far) began using them more & more ... I started using them less & less because often. I've discovered that rather than MOVE after charging ... the owner will often just leaves the PHEV parked there ALL DAY ... not considering even IF they're potentially screwing others over who may need a charge. Some places it'll be an employee, so that's why sometimes the PHEV will be there all day.

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That's an issue that has got to be addressed. Unless it's private or designated employee parking, plug-hogging is just one more hassle if you need a charge. (Along with out-of-service plugs, or plugs listed as public that are not available to the public.)

Here's my suggestion for a card and meter system:

You plug in and swipe your card. The meter informs you how long it will take to charge up to full, and how much it will cost. You are charged by the minute, and the charge goes up tenfold half an hour after your battery is full, giving you 30 minutes to move and free up the space. Cars parking in the space without swiping a card or without plugging in, would be subjected to hefty fines. A sensor would tell the meter if there's a car parked in the spot, and if it's not plugged in and a card swiped within 5 minutes, the meter would message a nearby meter cop to come and issue a ticket.