1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pulled the trigger - Ray's Eco Drive

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Kremtok, Mar 20, 2009.

1. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Guys what kind of tires are you using on these? The stock Turanzas weight 19lbs, and I'm really inclined to put on Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs but they weigh 22lbs at 205/50/16...
    I really want more lateral grip from the tires - I'll take a mileage hit for it, I just don't want to lose the weight loss advantage by using heavier tires.

2. PaulHS

PaulHS Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure if the questions are directed at me, but I'll answer.

$457.60 each. Plus $139.95 for the lug nuts and $85.88 for shipping and insurance. I'm sure the price varies due to current international exchange rates.

Almost. Ordered March 27, arrived June 4.

It's hard to tell. I think they feel different, but the entire month of June has been wet here, and the rain has been detrimental to my FE.

3. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),24 Venza Limit,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Very nice upgrade!

4. Kremtok

Kremtok Smug Alert!

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sorry for not responding more quickly, folks.

All told, the wheels cost about $3000 installed on the car. $2400 for the wheels, lugs, shipping, and such, plus $500 for TPMS sensors and programming, plus $100 for mounting and balancing. Of course, this may vary for you.

From what you see above, I'm sure you can understand why I'm just running the stock tires. I've spent enough on wheels that I couldn't possibly convince my wife to let me spend another $400 to $600 for another set of tires when there was a practically new set sitting in our garage. Our car is a year and some change old and only has 5600 miles on it. I don't see our tires wearing out any time soon, but I'll keep your advice in mind when it comes time to replace the current rubber.

Arrival took approximately 2 months, which is less than what I was quoted by the dealer. Their 'average' time for delivery is approximately 3 months, and they stated specifically that it could take less or more time. They do not keep these rims in stock, but rather have to order them directly from the US importer who in turn orders them directly from the manufacturer. My guess is that the importer waits until there's enough orders for a decent size batch, then gets them shipped over in quantity from the manufacturer. Nobody I could find kept them in stock.

As to mileage, it's hard to tell if I've gotten any improvement, as I've had significantly increased mileage from warmer temperatures. Our daytime high is about 65 on average here, and anything over 70 is scorchingly hot. My mileage averages to high 30s in the winter and high 40s in the summer. I really need a grill blocker!

Thanks for all of your kind words!

5. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Any noticeable difference in handling?

6. Kremtok

Kremtok Smug Alert!

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Handling, steering response, and braking feedback are all very similar to the previous wheels, but I had Michelin X-Ice snow tires on all winter long so it's not a direct comparison. The only real difference I noticed is decreased road noise and some reduction in ride harshness, but that is all more directly related to the rubber than the rims.