1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pulling micro trailer

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by MrTEA63054, Jul 1, 2022.

1. MrTEA63054

MrTEA63054 New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have the original Sports Rig Micro trailer that I bought and pulled behind my 2006 & 2012 Prius. I now have a 2019 Prius Prime Advance and I’m wanting to know if I would have any problems pulling it with this vehicle? On the earlier models, the hitch mounted up under the bottom of the frame, but the Prius Prime it attaches between the frame and the bumper guard. Pictured is my 2012 Prius with the micro trailer. It will have 2 cargo boxes with my camping equipment weighing approximately 200 pounds.

Attached Files:

2. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    This is what I do with prius. You really should get a trailer that's more sturdy for higher speeds. Those tires look like they're going to pop and the rims look like they're going to fly off your trailer. I wouldn't go over 45 miles an hour with that trailer

Attached Files:

Mambo Dave likes this.
  3. MrTEA63054

MrTEA63054 New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I’ve had this trailer since 2008 and it’s been perfect for what I use it for (hauling my camping gear). The tires and rims are basically motorcycle tires and have held up well even with me driving 75+ MPH. My concern is for a good hitch that would go on my 2019 Prius Prime that wouldn’t have ant issues pulling it. The two Prius that I had before weren’t Primes and the hitches for them connected up under the bottom of the car where as the ones for the Prime attach between the bumper assembly and the car frame. I’m just not sure how strong that would be.

Mambo Dave likes this.
  4. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I had no idea there were motorcycle tires. Thank you for correcting me. That would be a pretty sturdy rig. Let us know what you figure out for towing and we can learn on this one

Mambo Dave likes this.
  5. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Fwiw, for others, I found a similar sportsrig trailer (https://www.sportsrig.com/) at
    TrailStomper microtrailer might just be the lightest, sleekest off-road camping trailer out there

If you want a trailer hitch that you use to could hook up to a 18-wheeler tractor and trailer buried frame-deep in mud, and pull the 18-wheeler out, then get the Prius Over-Landing trailer hitch. :)
    Imho, that trailer hitch is almost strong enough to tow steal the moon. (y)
    Code:
    https://i.imgflip.com/6dpk2o.png
    Btw, although the trailer hitch might survive, the same may not be able to be said about the Prius.

Note: Since the Prime is not rated for a trailer, having a trailer hitch on the car, when the car is at the dealership, will likley result in the voiding of parts of your warranty (such as the rear brake system, maybe the independent rear suspension, etc).
    So, before the car ever goes anywhere near the dealership, you may want to remove any hitch.

Code:
    https://priusoverlanding.com/product/gen-4-prius-2-trailer-hitch/
    https://priusoverlanding.com/product/gen-4-prius-2-trailer-hitch/
    2016-2021 Toyota Prius Trailer Hitch – 2inch Receiver – Gen 4 | 2017 2018 2019 2020
    $319.00
    Toyota Prius Hidden Trailer Hitch Receiver – Gen 4 – 2016-2021
    SKU: 1030153152
    Category: 2016-2021
    Prius (Gen 4) Tag: Towing

#5 prius16, Jul 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
    MrTEA63054 likes this.
  6. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Server dup post.

#5 prius16, Jul 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
  7. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The hitch still attaches to the rear unibody, they just cover more of it with the rear bumper cover. Takes a little more time to install, looks a little better, won't change anything with regards to pulling your camping rig.

Happy trails!

Mambo Dave likes this.
  8. MrTEA63054

MrTEA63054 New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

9. MrTEA63054

MrTEA63054 New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It doesn’t attach the same on the earlier Prius as it does on the Prius Prime. My older ones ipthe hitch attached to the underbelly, but the prime you have to remove the entire bumper assembly because the hitch attaches between it and the cars body.

Mambo Dave likes this.
  10. MrTEA63054

MrTEA63054 New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I’ve been pulling the Sports Rig Micro trailer with my two previous Prius, a 2006 & 2012. Never had any problems with either one of them and they hauled the micro trailer almost as if it wasn’t even there. I don’t plan on pulling anything bigger than it or our 2 e-bikes. My concern was the way the hitch bolts onto the Prius Prime via between the bumper assembly and not under the belly as the earlier ones did. Anyway, that problem I has been addressed and all is good.

Mambo Dave likes this.
  11. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    As soon as a proprietor inserts the word eco love or premium into the name of the business or product I run like hell because it screams out cheap ploy

12. MrTEA63054

MrTEA63054 New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    LOL. Over all this hitch is good heavily built. I called them to complain about the placement of the loops for connecting the safety chains. He explained that the loops must be attached to a part of the hitch that is not removable. I told him if that’s the case then they need to extend the part of the hitch to come down further so it actually passes through the plastic protective parts of the car and instead of having a “L” shape that inserts up into the hitch, to just have a straight piece that inserts horizontally into it. We’ll see what or if they change their design any. Here’s a picture of the main part of the hitch “without the L part” so you can see what I’m talking about the placement of the loops for the safety chains.

Attached Files:

Mambo Dave likes this.
  13. MrTEA63054

MrTEA63054 New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I checked out the hitch in your reply just now. It’s about $100 cheaper than the EcoHitch, but it doesn’t look like it’s built as heavily. They do have the loops for connecting the safety chains in a good spot, which is what I suggested to the makers of the EcoHitch.

Mambo Dave likes this.
  14. MrTEA63054

MrTEA63054 New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    SportsRig doesn’t make the micro trailer like I have anymore. It’s super light and a dream to pull with the Prius. Longest trip we made with ours was from southeast Texas to Glacier National Park and back. Love this little guy and plan on making a bunch more trips with it. The newer trailers that they are now selling all have a lot more to them and I know must make the trailer weigh about double or more of the original weight of mine.

Mambo Dave likes this.