1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pulls slightly right

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by 4md, Apr 29, 2018.

1. 4md

4md Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For some time I have an annoying issue with pulling slightly to right. Tires are new (2k miles), with the winter set it was the same. I went for alignment 3 times to 3 different mechanics with 3D laser-blah-blah machines and everything is the same - the car is pulling to the right. After a long drive (150 miles) the wheels are not hot, so I don't think it's brakes issue.
    When I'm at stop light and the steering wheel is centered, when the brake is released, the wheel turns slightly right and the car goes that way... I suspect there's suspension issue, like weak bushing, but everything looks normal, no any noises or clicks. It's not related to acceleration or braking.

One of the mechanics suggested it's possible the bearings in the mounts at the top of the struts has some tension or does not move freely and this can cause such issues.

Does the steering assist have any memory of the "centered" position, that can be reset? I think the steering angle sensor is for the ESP system and when there aren't any lights on the dash, it doesn't need calibration?

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    sounds like your camber off or tire pressure

3. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    An 11 is ready for struts, and the top bearings would be changed, not free, but it would make the car ride like or better than new, I did struts in my 06’ it was a terrific change, I didn’t do struts in my 11’, I always thought it drove sort of mushy, Koni makes a strut that fits, I was tempted, but just the KYB aftermarket would be an upgrade, IMHO, oem parts are less expensive, err, don’t have the quality available...even made by the same manufacturer.
    Well, the KYB’s that replaced oem KYB’s on the 06’ were superior.

4. 4md

4md Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry for the delay, I was away these days. I'm attaching the document from the alignment. It's not in English, but there are diagrams to show which measurement corresponds to the values

The right side is little incorrect, but the difference is like there is a heavier passenger :D The car doesn't have any accidents, maybe some bushings got softer

The front shock absorbers are fine, I think to remove the top mounts to clean and re-grease the bearings (I do almost everything by myself on my cars). I can't believe they're worn out if there aren't any squeaks or knocking...

Attached Files: