1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

pulsating humming noise and vibration around 60mph

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by julian chance, Apr 5, 2014.

1. julian chance

julian chance New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    bought a second hand 2010 prius a couple of months ago. Between about 58 and 68mph I get a pulsating hum and slight vibration that seems to come from the front of the car. Each pulse lasts about a second then appears again in another second. It's there when going straight and worse if I go round a tight right hand bend and reduces round a left hand bend. If I lift off the accelerator it makes no difference. Any help greatly appreciated, my local toyota dealer says a break service might help, but I'm not so sure, is it more likely a wheel bearing maybe but the car has only done about 46000 miles?Thanks

2. kbeck

kbeck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    do not know... But if the pulsing goes with wheel RPM, the "take a turn and it gets worse" sounds like a CV joint. There's two to a side, one next to the wheel, one next to the transmission/gearbox. Unless you have $REDICULOUS mileage, it's early, though. These things last upwards of 150,000 miles under normal use.

The CV joints have rubber boots that hold the grease in/keep the dirt out. If they get torn or damaged in some way, early failure can be your lot, which is why looking at the boots are part of normal inspections. Get the car up on ramps and feel around the boots near the wheels, since those are more exposed. If you hand comes back really greasy (not just the usual amount of road dirt), that may be your problem.

Oh, yeah: sideswiping-style collisions can damage the joints, too. Was your car in an accident? If so, they may have skipped these on a repair, not a good idea.

Medium expensive, if true, and the wheels and all have to come off for maintenance. The boots can be replaced, if caught early, but a worn/broken CV joint just gets replaced.

KBeck

3. PriusInParadise

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think a failing wheel bearing may be more likely. IIRC there were isolated reports of early wheel bearing failure posted somewhere.
    A noisy CV joint is usually torque sensitive, and would take a greater turning angle to make noise than what you could make at highway speeds.

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I believe I have the same problem... but my sound starts about 45 - 50 mph. I was thinking wheel bearing too, though there is no excessive play in the hub. Plus when I put my snow-tires on this winter it went away. Now I am thinking it might be my OEM tires causing the sound. They are really close for replacement.

5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Rotate and balance anyone?

6. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    +1
    I would say 99% chance based on the reported symptoms. Check left front wheel.

7. julian chance

julian chance New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi again and thanks to everyone who replied. Just thought I'd follow up on this in case anyone else has a similar problem. I took the car into my local toyota dealer and they came out on a test drive with me but the guy didn't know what the problem was and suggested a brake service at a cost of £100, about $140, which I declined partly based on the comments in this thread, I then took it to a different dealer but the road surface was so rough nearby that we couldn't hear the noise. So I took it to a third dealer who came out on another test drive and thought it was indead the front left wheel bearing. In the workshop he then used some sort of device, he described it like a stethoscope, to listen to the wheel mechanism after spinning up the wheel and this confirmed the vibration. Not sure why the first dealer couldn't have done that. Anyway they replaced the bearing free under warranty which was great news and the noise has gone away, he also said this was not an uncommon issue in the prius. Thanks all.

8. tv4fish

tv4fish Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    GOOD news for sure :)

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Perhaps post the name/location of the dealership that finally resolved the issue?

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think he's from the USA but it would help others who uses the English Pound.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. julian chance

julian chance New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    that's right I'm in the UK. The issue was fixed by RRG Toyota in Denton near Manchester. As a Toyota dealership they supplied the car with a 1 year warranty.