1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pulsating noise at low speed?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Capecodbeachfront, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Capecodbeachfront

Capecodbeachfront Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    When I start my Prius v wagon in the morning I hear a soft pulsating noise from the rear of the car. Sounded a bit like a warped rotor rubbing. I took it to the dealer figuring I might get warranty coverage since brakes are one of the things that should not go wrong on a Prius. After all a lot of the braking is done regen. Service tech DID hear the soft rubbing. His advice... You can spend a lot of $$$ on Prius brakes and they will still make noises. It has been about 5k miles and the noise is still there but no worse. Was his advice sound? I am asking because I am about to go back for an oil change and am tempted to ask for a 2nd opinion... maybe get a different tech this time. Has anyone had experience with this type of pulsating noise? BTW it is not something you can feel in the seat or steering wheel like tradition brake problems. Could it be something else? Thanks.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I get some squeaking in reverse on cold mornings. It goes away in forward gear and the brakes are fine years later.

#2 rjparker, Dec 29, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have never heard a noise from the rear end. i think his advice was pitiful. hopefully, your complaint was logged in their computer 5,000 miles ago. ask them to spin the rear wheels for you while the car is on the lift.

4. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The default v brake groan is nothing new, especially on the 2013. Its worse in damp or cold conditions. It should go away pretty quickly once you start driving.
    There's nothing "wrong" with the brakes, they work just fine. Disc brakes have been making noises for as long as there have been disc brakes. Noise is not a defect. A service tech who declines to make money on a brake job is an honest one.

5. Capecodbeachfront

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    "Groan"? Not sure we are talking the same noise. This is a repetitive brushing sound best heard at low speed on a smooth road. I know other disc brake sounds Ex: the grinding off of rust after my wife's Equinox has sat unused for a week or two while we are traveling. Much different sound. I do like the suggestion of turning wheels while up on a lift. that may be my request... thank you.
    BTW as much as I love my Prius I have been less than satisfied with dealer service. Recently took it in for a recall that involved a software update. After 2 hours they finally admitted the update "was not taking" and could I bring it back another day? And for some reason they had completely emptied all my golf equipment out of the hatch area to do a software update??? At the very least they could have mentioned this would be necessary in the recall letter. Hatch area was a complete mess... golf bag thrown on top of my shoes, etc. I almost get the feeling they would prefer to service normal Toyota vehicles. Are Prius's that much of a pain to service???

6. Les_PL

Les_PL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    In my case that similar effect disappeared after changing the tires. Perhaps one of them was somehow damaged?

Wysłane z mojego LenovoA3300-H przy użyciu Tapatalka

7. Capecodbeachfront

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Like all car noises it is hard to isolate...
    Yes, it could be a tire... maybe passenger side rear?
    Definitely pulsating... slows as speed slows, etc.
    But I feel no vibration through seat or steering like most tire issues?

8. Les_PL

Les_PL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was living with it for almost two years, got used to it :)

?.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe tires starting to flat-spot a bit, overnight? I notice a bit of a pulsation when we first get onto highway, just for the first mile or so. Just with the snows we have on right now.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    cross rotate, and see if there's any change in sound.

Les_PL likes this.
  11. Capecodbeachfront

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I suppose that would help isolate it to tire... or not. Last oil change and tire rotation cost me $90. Big surprise from the oil change deals non Prius owners get. Even my wife's Equinox that uses the GM Dexos oil gets a $39 deal for oil change and tire rotation. Hey guys, remember I am helping the environment here a give me a break once in awhile. When gas was $4 a gallon I thought I came out ahead. But at $2 a gallon my $60 oil change alone negates my MPG savings pretty quickly. A year ago I was a fanatical Prius convert... now I am beginning to see the 'darker side" of owning a Prius. Strange noises galore, over priced service, and limited service options!

12. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It's about owning a modern vehicle. Every car with synthetic oil has a higher change fee. Every car has a tire rotation fee, assuming you do rotate them and/or swap out winter for summer tires. This is DIY for some, attracts a convenience fee for others.

We still fill the Prius one-third as often as the CR-V, no matter the fuel price.

13. Timberbull

Timberbull New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Our Prius V has had the same rotational groan at low speeds since new. It quickly goes away after we start driving it but have noticed it is more prevalent on cold mornings. I agree on the service costs but took that into consideration when we purchased it. Unfortunately I am paying the premium for an inverter replacement this week. Salesman in 2012 was quick to point out how Toyota had extended warranties on the Gen III Prius inverters and battery but unfortunately the Prius V uses a different model inverter that is not warrantied the same as the Normal Prius inverter that is covered.