1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pulse and glide safety problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bearcatzzz, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Bearcatzzz

Bearcatzzz Junior Member

I had my first chance to get a good pulse and glide run today. I hit better than 75 MPG on a 5 min segment! Most of the time when I try do it I encounter traffic :angry: . I don't want to be an annoying Prius driver so I usually stop (P&G) and accelerate to normal speed. What do you do to keep the mileage up and not anger other non-Prius drivers?

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What's "normal" on the roads you're on? A posted speed limit of 40
    or *maybe* 45 is perfect for P&G because you can be slightly under
    the limit and not piss 'em off *too* badly, hopefully. But if you're
    trying to do this on a 55 mph secondary highway by staying under 40,
    then no, you're not in the right territory for pure P&G.
    What I do is adapt to a host of inputs on the fly -- the posted
    limit, the space ahead, the drivers behind, the upcoming lights...
    and go through it all trying to be as *smooth* as possible but still
    retain most of the elements of P&G. Works for me.
    _H*

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Much like Hobbit. I stick to the speed limit when there's traffic behind me and don't try to P&G, but rather focus on anticipating stops and slow downs as my main FE tool.

But, I also choose to use less trafficed roads that all have speed limits of 45mph or lower. Most are hilly so I can utilize a bit of a modified P&G even when there's traffic behind me.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I hate holding up traffic. Occassionally, I've pulled over and let them pass but when that's not an option, I accelerate and work to PnG at higher speeds. It's not as effective as when you're slower, but that's okay with me.

When on a multilane road, I pick the lane to travel in based on the traffic both in front of and behind me. And even then eventually they catch up with me so I feel bad for holding up traffic all over again.

Like you, I want to work on increasing my mileage but don't want to be one of those "damned slow hybrid drivers."

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just remember, you'll never be cited for doing the speed limit. Be safe, but don't feel you have to speed just because everybody else is doing it.

6. Bearcatzzz

Bearcatzzz Junior Member

The roads I've tried it on are rural county roads posted mostly @ 55mph. I knew that they were not the best choice for P&G'ing but usually they are low traffic areas. I have driven (& bicycled) these roads for many years and am usually all by myself. It's only when I try these techniques do I get company :blink:, like a magnet. I didn't know if there was a trick to the system.

This is an alternate route for my commute which is on the freeway. I have my MPG @ 50 or better for that. Thanks for the help.

7. kfarad

kfarad Junior Member

35 MPH Roads are perfect... there's a stretch on Alma St here with only one light that's perfect for 42-MPH 100+MPG Pulse & Glide

I see a LOT of Priuses on this street

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know. I tried P&G for the first time today. Never knew the car could glide for soo long. I went up to 60km/h (speed limit) and it took forever to get back down to 40km/h.

9. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    like everyone else basically said.. thing of p&g as a light to light situation.

I just make sure to not over rev while accelerating. It says i get low mpg.. but i the end, it's always higher. I feather around speed limit, and basically coast around 45... i use the word coast because i'm a fraction of a mm from dropping 1mph.. but far away from gaining 1mph. I usually fully coast to lights. This allows good energy gain that builds up to a really long "mostly ev" time. like getting 90mpg doing 52mph.

I do a nice casual braking.. but only when around 40mph or lower. I've seen how the needle works on the lexus. It's better to start a good breaking under 40mph then start one higher ( 50 and so up )... where the lower start gets better feed back in the rx400h.

so yeah.. just take it easy. then again, i have 58k miles.

10. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

People with 50 to 55 mph roads are very lucky. You can't pulse and glide maybe but you can get way better mpg than those of us with regular Interstate Highway travel at 65 or more.

As for holding up traffic, it bothers me a lot when they tailgate me, but I won't speed just because they want to.
    And I find going even 5 mph over the speed limit bothers them way more on a two lane road than if I go under the limit on a 4 lane road when they can go around easily. So I prefer slow 4 lane roads when I can find them.

Back when I learned to drive we had mostly two lane roads and it was common to get into long lines where people had to wait for a passing area and then everyone wound zip past the slower vehicles.

Today on 2 lane roads people just seem to taillgate and ignore wide open passing areas. I've started slowing down extra when there's a good passing area and that usually works to wake them up and persuade them to try passing me. Then I get to pass them at the next speed trap.

But why pulse and glide? That would annoy other traffic even more than daring to drive down near the speed limits? And it is not necessary for very good mileage. If you want 80 or more mpg you need it, but otherwise you don't, and most people just need to get to 50 or 60 mpg. With 40 mph roads 70 mpg is quite possible regularly without any pulse and glide.

11. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

What's your goal for mpg?

Mine was always 50... Before I bought the car... After I got the car.. it was 50.

I drive with the traffic all the time, I don't hold up the show, I don't feel I'm in danger or being a PITA for the tollway and over 21500+ miles I'm averaging 52.3mpg. http://d.spicher.home.comcast.net/prius/LifetimeStats.html

I'll probably put a post in the economy thing in a couple days, but believe I've discovered a mpg boost that I don't see talked about on here. I don't track the user manual enough to know the precise air filter change intervals and I imagine that somewhat depends on the dust in the air where you live. (pheonix = more often, etc..) I changed mine at 21500 miles, and in the next 200 miles so far, my mfd is in the 62.0 range. My driving hasn't changed. My otherwise normal would have read in the 55 or 57mpg for this driving. One day I'll get the pictures off my camera of the old/new filters when I changed as well as pictures of the mfd as I watch for this increase to stick around after the filter change.

Toyota OEM filter...

Anyhow, if your goal for mpg is MAX, always more... you'll never get it... I think being a PITA in traffic to get more mpg for yourself is a selfish thing to do for a stupid goal. If you have an obtainable goal for mpg, then stick around here, learn tips and car care and shoot for that obtainable goal without having a mile long line of honking cars behind you as you get there.

12. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

My goal for mileage is the best I can get. And I could care less about the line of cars behind me. They should stay behind me as long as I am going at least the speed limit. I'm getting sick of dodging them after they crash and there's one smashed up in front of me almost every week.

13. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the primary goal is always to not put yourself in a dangerous situation (aka, cause road rage in the big truck driver behind you, etc)

i personally tend to p/g to keep it at 5 over which on many roads i travel is 40 mph. if there's heavy traffic, i say screw it and use the ICE as efficiently as possible at traffic speeds.

14. Stilview

Stilview New Member

A simple rule that always applies...do no impede to flow of traffic

15. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Sometimes we all can get wrapped up in things. Pulse and glide is a technique which will increase FE but to exercise this when it is unsafe is not mentioned enough, in my opinion. After learning this technique I came to the conclusion fairly soon afterwards that pulse and glide is not the priority. Driving safely is!!

I am currently enjoying about 54 miles per gallon with mostly non pulse and glide usage. I anticipate stop signs and stop lights, glide when the speed limit lowers etc. For me that is a 100% increase in FE over much of the automobiles in use today. Yes I could do better using pulse and glide but at what cost to my own well being? I vote to get to where I am going in one piece. I hope everyone else does as well.

Pulse and glide is a good technique to learn and to be able to utilize when you have a good place to use it but in the real world that doesn't really happen much where I live. I have made total peace with 54 miles per gallon. Heavens, think about it.....what do people say when you tell them that? Most say "wow". And I should try to get more? Sure but only if it is safe to do so.

Safe driving to you all.

Cheers