1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pulse and Glide

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Soylent, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Sep 15 2006, 07:30 AM) [snapback]320059[/snapback]</div>
    computer mileage 53.3
    pump milage 44.4
    I always recommend the first stop is a gas station and fill the car up as you would normally do, yes I know Toyota says a "full tank of gas" but the person filling your new car pulls the nozzle at the first click just like he was told to do. So your first tank is never "full". Fill, reset and go. I don't think it makes almost 9 miles to the gallon difference but a level playing field is always the best for those who track every drop of gas the car uses.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ya Frank. should have, but same thing happened with my 04 although not as drastic. my 04's first tank was 42.9 pump, 48.2 computer. and it all evened out at the end so...

besides, i knew it would suck since my first bar disappeared at about 30 miles. to be honest with ya, with the varying accuracy of the pumps, i never did pay much attention to the figures anyway. i track the numbers only because... i can i guess. some will always be interested in actual dollar figures. my CPM uses actual pump and dollar figures... but then again, that wouldnt change anyway...hehehe

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Sep 15 2006, 07:30 AM) [snapback]320059[/snapback]</div>
    I am not entirely sure about that from September to November , at 1880 miles, I bumped from 51-54 to 56-61 (my best tank till spring) after that was the winter slump 49.7 to 58 in April and after May was all over 60. Now I admit I cheat. I have the radiator blocker in winter and the block heater. Both are going to be started real soon now!

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Sep 17 2006, 08:14 PM) [snapback]321004[/snapback]</div>
    I said to the wife today if the temps stay like this I'm putting in my winter lips. That should give us a little late summer. If your temps are like ours and with the abillity to monitor our temps I think we have nothing to loose.

5. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well not that i have a Prius with no CANVIEW, i will probably get something to block the radiator anyway. unlike other cars, my 2004 never got hot even under the worst of summer conditions. highest recorded temp i had was 197º. even without a radiator or antifreeze, the water wouldnt boil. that to me shows how little energy is lost in waste heat like a normal car. shows you how much is really wasted while idling in a normal car.

plus with CANVIEW and no radiator block, my average running temps for my short commute was only around 165-175º. summer time was 188-191º so have to assume that my Prius was struggling to get to the proper operating temperature when driving at street speeds most of the time anyway.

so will be looking at ideas on the best way to do it. i like Henry's idea for convenience but not sure i like the bra look. plus, convenience would be less of a factor since overheating seems to be a non-issue even in mild climates like ours, so may dish that since it would be a twice a year project.

6. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Sep 19 2006, 06:49 AM) [snapback]321578[/snapback]</div>
    Dave I have a ScanGage that I am willing to lend you until you get the new 06 > Can View. It is limited but will give temps, and from that you can infer S4 operation! Give me a call!

7. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    wow, how does it hook up?