1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pulse driving technique

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kirbinster, Jul 6, 2005.

1. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

I was wondering if someone could explain to me how fast you should accelerate in a Prius to maximize fuel economy. I know in a normal car you want to be very gentle when you accelerate, but have read that for the Prius it is better to accelerate "briskly". My question is what is the exact definition of briskly. Does it mean you mash the pedal to the floor - do you step down halfway - do you try to go from zero to say 40 in 10 seconds???? If someone could try to quantify this it would be greatly appreciated. Also, do you do it differently on flat ground versus climbing a hill?

Thanks

2. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For acceleration I use the MFD screen that shows if the battery is charging. Try NOT to charge the battery during acceleration. Charging the battery means excess ICE energy is being produced. Plus you loose X% of energy due to charging and then X% during MG use of the energy stored in the battery (I don't know the exact percentages ).
    Typically I go 0 to 60 in about 30 seconds.
    p.s.- I did see stats that braking at 2 mph/sec generates the most stored energy.

3. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

Thanks that sounds like some good advice!

0 to 60 in 30 seconds does not really sound like what I would call pulse driving - that is verrrry slow. I know this is not a sports car, but I almost cannot imagine accelerating that slowly.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't do that. I also don't pulse drive.

I accelerate pretty 'briskly'...say 7-10 seconds to 35-40mph on flats. I use the battery to get there simply b/c it is fairly efficient and a more comfortable/realistic real-world speed. I do, then, usually try to drop into the no arrows/dead-banding acceleration which, at that speed, is usually still fairly brisk and maximally efficient.

Pulse driving is just speeding up then coasting alternately. It seems to be a good way to boost mpg, but I just can't hang with it most of the time. too much focus, too annoying to the other traffic, and just not worth it.

5. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I only "semi-pulse" drive on 2 lane country roads with stop signs. Never in traffic.
    I say semi-pulse because because while coasting gives the best mileage, constant speed cruising is second best.
    Accelerate then cruise. A constant slow acceleration gives me the worst possible mileage.

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    pulse driving to take advantages of changes in elevation is fine, but otherwise, steady is gotta be better and pulsing is just irritating to most passengers

7. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The ICE is most efficient between about 1500 and maybe
    3000 rpm. At 1400 or below it's sort of "loafing",
    burning gas without a meaningful load on it. Unfortunately
    that's an easy scenario in stop-n-go traffic, where if you
    bring it up to 1500 you'll accelerate too fast but
    stealthing it builds an angry parade behind you. EV-only
    mode is very useful here, until you can clear the pack and
    get some running room.
    How do you measure RPM, I hear you asking?
    Install a tach.
    _H*

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How's this? Accelerate with the engine powering the wheels and the electric motor only. Have no arrow go to or from the battery. Once to reach your desired speed, you may feather. Does that help?

9. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

Thanks, will give that a try.

10. funpilot

funpilot Junior Member

Don't know how to describe how I drive my Prius, but I just bought an Avalanche and am able to get better than 24 mpg driving it the same way I do my Prius....

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've just tried out my suggestion above. It seems to be adequate. I feel (without looking at the speedo) like I'm accelerating normally and not like a slow poke so I guess that can work as "brisk". The purpose of this is that you're not drawing additional power from that battery so that you can use it later and you're not making more power than necessary.

12. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I agree with Tideland Prius and would also like to say that 0-60 in 30 seconds is not slow. If you accelerate at a reasonable rate and time it, you will find that it is about average to maybe a little faster than most other drivers. The 0-30 is around 7-10 seconds but as you get closer to 60, the same amount of peddle pressure results in slower acceleration due to increasing road and wind resistance that is being overcome. Most drivers around here do 0-60 in 30-40 seconds. Makes it pretty silly to insist on a performance curve that achieves 0-60 in seven seconds or less, but that is what we have come to expect.

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(funpilot\";p=\"104883)</div>
    now wouldnt that be cool. just reading about how to drive a Prius would enable everyone to be more efficient

14. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

I have found that if you accelerate briskly from a stop to 25-35 mph., then SLIGHTLY let up on the gas pedal to trigger in either GREEN recharge on the MFD or Nothing showing between wheels on the MFD, you get 99.9 mpg, in a charge or coasting environment, sometimes the battery will run your wheels (avoid if you can cause batt will be recharged), then maintain the SPEED of the car as best you can, w/o the engine re-starting. In most cases you can maintain speed, until the next stop or stop light, deaccelarate SLOWLY, re-charging as much as possible, then stop and start again. The MPG showing while accelerating will be terrible but short in duration, while your cruise in Elec or coast mode will be 99.9 MPG., when averaged the mileage will be quite good. Depending on conditions I also have used Cruise control, even as low as 25 mph, SAFETY PERMITTING, and this does a pretty good job too. It is hard at first to do the pedal trick, you have to really watch the car, and it is difficult to do, but you get used to it. My driving involves a lot of small short trips, in HOT/HUMID Texas climate, the worst you can throw at this car. I Have not had it too long, but this seems to work.