1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pulse&Glide... I finally did it!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Blu-ray, Feb 6, 2013.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just drive it. The mode doesn't matter. If you need more power just press the throttle more. You're not going to hurt the car by selecting different modes.

A lot of us use an aftermarket device like Scangauge or Torque app to monitor vehicle systems.

2. Doug E B

Doug E B Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just filled up with 4.2 gals for 170 miles of driving a long streetch of highway that goes up and down gradually. Somewhere in the 40mpg range. A 6mpg hit with the MXM4 tires vers the Energy saver A/S. Dang it but I understand the MXM4 are a better tire?
    research time again but better late than not.

3. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    The "Tao of HSI" below is very informative as well:

HSI

The tip about switching to neutral on long glides is pretty useful too.

4. SalixIncendium

SalixIncendium Tree Hugging Environmentalist Wacko

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My findings so far are the same as Switch's. I'm still experimenting, but regardless of what the pros say, I am still finding better fuel economy when I am more aggressive on the accelerator for a short time than accelerating in ECO range for a longer time during the pulse portion of P&G. In my mind, if one is spending less time pulsing and more time gliding, the better the MPG will be. Then again, I only have about 1,000 miles driving experience in a Prius, probably 600 of that on the freeway. I will continue to experiment with different techniques until I get the high score. :D

A bit OT: I've read here that the P&G technique doesn't work at freeway speed (obviously because the ICE is running), but has anyone found that using a similar technique works? Toward the tail end of my last trip to PA, I found that my MPG increased marginally when I accelerated to a bit over my desired speed (not exceeding the speed limit, of course ;) ) and then let off of the accelerator until there is no bar or only a small wedge on the HSI until my speed dropped below the flow of traffic, and then did it again. I, of course, used gravity to my advantage on hills. Am I really saving fuel with this technique or driving my fiancee insane in vain?

5. Jzerocsk

Jzerocsk Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    P&G should work at highway speed for the most part. The ICE is spinning, but it's not consuming fuel when you're in the "warp stealth" situation. Personally I just can't stand having large variations in my speed even when there's no other cars on the road. I mostly stick to a variation on "driving with load." I've found that on the v-wagon HSI, 2 bars above the ICE cutover mark almost always gives me at least 50MPG instantaneous while allowing me to maintain a highway speed. I keep it there on flat areas. On uphills I'll increase the throttle input enough that I decelerate very slowly and on downhills I'll either go back to that 2-bars over the cutoff line (if I need to get a running start for the next hill) or just warp stealth/regen (depending on my speed/traffic).