1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pulsing noise near inverter after engine off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by scotb, May 10, 2023.

1. scotb

scotb New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    On my 2008 Prius I am hearing a pulsing noise near the inverter after engine shutdown. I can also hear it sometimes when driving. Could it be coolant control valve or inverter pump or both? Or possibly something else. So far no engine codes and not too worried, but I did replace coolant control valve about 4 years ago and I wonder if that has decided to go kaput again.

Scot

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    if it sounds like a CD trying to eject and goes in a loop, that is the sound from the coolant control valve.

PriusCamper likes this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Definitely the valve... when the pump fails it's silent... The good news is you can go years without dealing with this, but it's good luck for car longevity to fix stuff soon as you notice it. Here's the one I usually buy. It's not OEM but never had any issues with 'em and only costs $40: https://www.ebay.com/itm/394097566363

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Wow I better look at mine I've never touched it never replaced the water pump the belt is still intact The car never overheats the inverter pump has been replaced by something completely different that works like gangbusters and I haven't had the code for the inverter pump since and that's that so I guess I need to look into this coolant control valve that everybody seems to have had sail or whatever I've never even heard it I know the coolant tank pump and all that down in the fender well seemingly works.