1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pump next to thermos runs constantly....no codes found

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Beachbummm, May 31, 2015.

1. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    a weeks ago I posted a problem my neighbor was having with the battery pack running down quickly and I think I found why, I pulled it inside the garage this morning and the pump (or motor) that sits to the right of the thermos closest to the wheel is running constantly....no error codes,fluid level is full,no leaks or coolant smells that I have found....

every thing else in the car(radio,ac,lights ect) is off so it seems to be the only draw on the battery pack....car in acc..pump was running for about 5 mins and I watch the level in the battery drop from all blue to one purple...drove for less than 10 mins pack back to one green
    what does it do?

any ideas?

#1 Beachbummm, May 31, 2015
    Last edited: May 31, 2015
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's a huge draw, does the pump run off the 12v or the hv battery?

3. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I assume HV, if I knew what it was I could do more research on it

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i guess it would be in the repair manual. maybe even the owners manual under hood descriptions.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That pump fills and empties the thermos for a few seconds on startup and shutdown.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you are referring to the coolant heat recovery system pump next to the canister in the driver's front fender, then you assume wrong. That pump is powered by the 12V system.

The CHRS system is controlled by the engine ECU. The question is why the pump is running so long. It should only run for a few seconds upon startup and shutdown.

This is not going to be an easy problem to fix, I recommend you refer your neighbor to the local Toyota dealer for them to figure the issue out.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hard to believe there wouldn't be trouble with the 12v, can the hv recharge it quickly enough? and would that cause the rapid decrease in hv charge level?