1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

pumped 11.5gal today

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cyclopathic, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Insight-I Owner

Insight-I Owner 2006 Insight-I MT + 2011 Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    do not know about the JDM tanks. I thought they had strict air pollution regs there, so I'd expect that they would have onboard evap systems. Unless they set up their filling stations to collect the fumes displaced by filling up better than our gas stations do.
    I thought it was the Gen II's that have the bladder and Gen III's don't?? I read a lot of complaints about how the bladder makes it hard to get a consistent fill on a Gen II.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Spelling error on my part. I meant their (i.e. JDM) Gen2s didn't have fuel bladders. I believe the bladder was unique to North American Gen2s.

3. DetPrius

DetPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't consider myself a hypermiler, although I try to coast to red lights, anticipate lights, run 40/38 in the tires, and usually watch the heat and A/C use. On one trip I left the northern suburbs of Detroit headed for Florida and my first fillup was in Chattanooga TN.

Yes, I've heard all about burning out fuel pumps and I'll change my ways when I start burning out fuel pumps. My last car, a Honda CRX, I drove for 20.5 years, always used all of the fuel in the tank, and never replaced the electric fuel pump in almost 400,00 miles, which was the entire life of the car. I simply enjoy staying away from gas stations for weeks at a time.

3 people like this.
  4. pjay

pjay New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting, DetPrius, and good for you! I hope if I get a Prius, I can achieve the same tank range (if not also high MPGs).

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My household hasn't been so fortunate on fuel pumps. My Accord did need one at about 20 years and 200k miles. The spouse's Integra also needed one at about 20 years and 170k miles.

Maybe yours was holding out for 21 years.

6. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What a lot of people don't realize is that fuel pumps are usually cooled by the fuel flowing through them. Yes, the fuel commonly flows right through the motor.

The pump is mounted so that it normally sits immersed in fuel and there is no way an electric motor can be so well sealed that in millions of cars for over 10 years the motor will stay dry. So, they design the motors to run with gasoline flowing through them.
    A typical in tank pump is shown below.
    [​IMG]

7. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    i pumped 11.9 gallons also...

6.4 gallons in the car

and 4.5 gallons on the ground

:drum:

8. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thing is it is a convenience then anything else. I get gas from Cosco, and when I pass by pump it could be only 300mi, next time it will be tomorrow and it will be another 2-300mi. Most of my tanks are in 5-600mi range, only a few above 600. The longest one was 636mi, but it was in summer and indicated MPG for that tank was 63.4MPG. I also over-pump gas, an extra .5-.75gal.

I am thinking in throwing a gas can in the trunk and running it dry...

9. Gary Otto

Gary Otto Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    At least when you run out of gas and have to walk your carbon footprint will be even smaller :D

1 person likes this.
  10. Anomoly

Anomoly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Usually when my last bar starts blinking at me I will go another 70-80 miles before filling up... when I do I only wind up putting about 10.3 gallons into it. I've never drove a single tank over 500 miles but i haven't had the car that long... :)

11. DetPrius

DetPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Bob Wilson already did this 2 or 3 times and ran it dry on purpose. He found there to be about 2.1 gallons left in the tank when the last bar starts flashing.

12. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just checked and all last displayed tanks (7?) were btw 500 and 600mi. But my avg runs 57.9MPG indicated since last oil change (6400mi)

as drive train breaks in/tires wear your MPG will continue to go up.