1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pumped Water Storage for Elec (coal mines?)

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by wjtracy, Mar 16, 2017.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting article below about pumped water storage. Probably EV advocates don't know that Virginia has the worlds largest battery, well sort of: we have the biggest pump water facility. The orig intent I think was to store nuke and coal nighttime elec loads from WV (coal) and VA (nukes).

Apparently California converted an old mine to pumped water storage, and now that's a hot topic here as we've passed a resolution to pursue that in Virginia.

In Virginia push for pumped hydro storage, questions arise about viability | Southeast Energy News

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    interesting idea, the existing one is pretty cool, i wonder how the economics shake out.

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes worth a day trip to go out there and see it someday...pretty much in the mountains off I-81 looks hard to get to.
    More popular is the Smith Mountain Lake dam and that we have been to and I have my own photos like the one in the article.

Virginia only has 2 natural lakes, one being the Great Dismal Swamp. So every other lake is man-made.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've been to hoover, but it's an easy trip from vegas. they are man made wonders.