1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pumping brake pedal at stop and flashing traction control light

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by gafortiby, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think my foot/shoe is too big! :LOL: It's a tight fit down there for my feet.

2. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm happy to report that my brakes felt better this morning. Not nearly as mushy. Only occasionally, and that may be normal? It seems to change daily, and it was that way from day-1 when I bought it. I'm obviously inexperienced with the Prius braking system. (My first Prius.)

3. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The graphic shown at post 6 is not in the 2016 Owner's Manual.

I've pushed the brake pedal HARD, that doesn't activate it (lock brakes and beep). It did work in my 2010 without problem.

4. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Coast Cruiser likes this.
  5. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  6. lrisius

lrisius Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hi all,
    2015 Prius v Level Three
    I've finally had time to do some testing and dig into the manual. Here is what I have found in:
    1) The slip indicator and trac off lights do light up when I do the startup where I press power twice without putting my foot on the brakes.
    2) Hill start assist functions properly. I press hard and it locks the brakes for about 2 seconds or until I depress the accelerator.
    3) The slip indicator light doesn't flash when I activate hill start assist. The owner's manual gives no indication it should flash.
    4) When I turn traction control off, I get a message "Traction control turned off" in the center display box. This is consistent with the owner's manual for vehicles with multi-information display. The traction off indicator doesn't light up. According to the owner's manual, this indicator light seems to be present but unused.

So the question I have is whether this is correct operation for a 2015 Prius v Level Three? Some say their indicatorl light flashes when in hill start assist mode. My manual makes no mention of this. If this is not correct, I want to get it taken care of under warranty.
    Thanks!

7. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Geez.

For your own peace of mind, go to your local dealer so they can tell you it is working as it should. Call Toyota Customer Care too. At least your concerns will be documented.

Now lets analyze what you stated and asked:
    Why would you have additional questions?

Then it will NOT flash.

Refer to your statement #2 above. All is a OK.

Lets see, the OP (Original Poster) who never read the manual has a 2012 vagon. The 2012 clearly states FLASH.
    Prius Manual 2012 vagon, Hill Assist p256.jpg
    You have a 2015 vagon. Your 2015 does not state FLASH, unless VSC/TRAC/ABS are operating. I understand operating to mean, activation due to the tires loosing traction/slipping, thus the operation. Hill-start Assist is a non-slippage event.
    So, no FLASH for your 2015 when using Hill-start Assist. FLASH for a 2012 using Hill-start Assist.
    Prius Manual 2015 vagon, Hill Assist p245.jpg

As you can see, there are subtle differences between years. 2012=Flash. 2015=No Flash.

8. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have same habit dating from single master cylinder , unitary brake system days when a single failure resulted in the loss of ALL brakes except the emergency brake if you were lucky. So i always wanted to be certain I could stop before starting out, and that was one way to do so.

Wouldn't the Fahrvergnügen Gebrauchsanwweisungen be just for a Volkswagen?

Air_Boss and exstudent like this.
  9. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Euphemism for "Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo"ing.

Air_Boss likes this.