1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Punitive taxes for hybrid owners.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Prius Rising, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Borninblue

Borninblue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Read the Ohio changes. ONLY full electric and plug-ins get charged the fee. Gas-hybrids do not pay the fee.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's a little more fair

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry was on vacation, so catching up/
    Re: Plug-ins - some extra fee is valid
    Re: ICE Hybrids - It totally sucks and is totally unfair. It is punitive and will kill hybrids.

I have already sent a note to my Senators about this, but in Virginia we did kill the hybrid fee our last Repub gov put in there. I can tell you some of the things we did, but suffice it to say it took some strong elected official supporters inside our GA.

It's hard though. Many people including some less-liberal Dems are highly offended that you can buy a Prius and get out of gaso taxes. So they want to strike out against hybrids. Repubs pushing for miles driven tax because they cannot stomach high MPG cars getting tax break, which is OK if they do that. What is unfair is racism applied to specific vehicle technology, as long as they all use 100% gaso, you are barking up the wrong tree to penalize hybrids.

I am saying (to my elected officials) any reported move to pass a bill to extend plug-in incentives should also do something to prevent punitive treatment of 100% gaso hybrids. I feel Unlce Sam should hold back transport funding to states that unfairly penalize hybrids.

#83 wjtracy, Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  4. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a fun thread. I can't stop myself from laughing from reading half of it and writing some of these comments.

#1: There's a GIF that illustrates how people in their cars take up lots of space compared to, well, just about any other option.

#2: Compared to the (often 4000lb+) SUVs that consumers have been shifting to, the Prius is a relatively light car.

From my understanding of that situation, the fuel tax was the proverbial straw the broke the camel's back. I can't help but feel that a lot of the people who seem to talk about it as the huge focus of that unrest have something of a narrative to push.

Well, it isn't exactly fair that some jackass driving this 12k miles a year would be paying the same as some guy in a Mitsubishi Mirage G4 doing the same 12k.

#1: Who is going to haul all the stuff you buy then? Distribution and logistics is a pretty cutthroat business and they do actually take efficiency seriously.

#2: How bad are your state's finances?

People are so desperate to have huge-nice person vehicles that the total amount of vehicle-related debt is at an all time high of $1.2 Trillion with correspondingly record-high monthly car payments.

Problem is that the truly heavy stuff isn't exactly driven around for daily commutes like your average SUV.

You know that old joke people tell in certain cities that goes "don't like the weather? Just wait 15 minutes!'. The new version of that joke goes something like "climate change will take care of that winter problem of yours!"

Wait, what?

Prius Rising likes this.
  5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It is discriminatory against gaso hybrids to penalize them.
    For example you end up with a 25 MPG Hybrid Highlander paying a tax penalty, but an aluminum F150 at the same 25 MPG getting no penalty. It is unfair to single out gaso hybrids for punishment.

Now if they want to say all cars over say 25 MPG owe more, that is fair system (better known per mile basis). We may not prefer it, but it is fair.