1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Purchase car with hail damage?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by mrstop, Jul 27, 2012.

1. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm shopping for a new Prius and a dealer has offered a $580 discount for a "hail damaged" car. I haven't seen the car, but supposedly it is minor. They offer the discount and/or can repair it.

Assuming the damage is minor and easily and perfectly repaired with paintless dent removal (PDR), should I proceed? If so, should I have any concerns about future resale value, carfax report etc? Should I look for any additional discount over and above the cost of repair?

2. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    A $580 discount is NOT worth it, as there is an insurance calim noted on the CarFax and other data bases. Resale value has been definitely been compromised. It's NOT worth it.

I'd only buy, if you are one who buys a car and keeps it until the wheels fall off or use it in a buisness for commercial delivers, where it would get rough treatment and many early miles. And that, only, if there is a sizeable $3,000 plus discount.

You can easily negotiate a $580 discount on a "perfect" NEW vehicle. Ao, why bother?

3. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They should offer you a discount for the exact amount it would cost to have it repaired!

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's not enough, why not just buy a non damaged one then? they can't fix it and sell it for new so they have to discount it more than the cost of repair.

5. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Agree that $580 doesn't sound like much. I would expect whatever discount to be over and above what I could get an undamaged car to be.

Let's assume it's 2-3 minor "dings" and I have the dealer repair them to perfect before delivery at their cost, what do you think a fair discount would be over best undamaged price?

6. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I wouldn't touch it without another one thousand or two thousand dollar discount.

And, it would be likely that I wouldn't touch it all all even with such a discount.

Any repairs made to a car are almost NEVER as good as the original assembly. I've seen a lot of repairs, and very few ones made that equals the original.

Repairs are basically only cosmetic. If they have to remove the headliner to get to the roof, they might leave out some of the retainrers-retainers, that when h missing, might cause the headliner to sag two or three years down the road.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think a thousand off what you can buy an undamaged one would be fair. i would like a second opinion on the repair cost from a high quality body shop tho, (is that an oxymoron?) just to make sure the dealer isn't going to do a quick and dirty on the repair.