1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Purchased my First Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by EASmith, Jan 16, 2018.

1. EASmith

EASmith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just purchased my first Prius. It’s a 2011 with 94,000 miles, a few more miles than I had wanted. I absolutely love it! I need to learn the best way to maximize gas mileage, I think I found a forum about that!

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  2. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congratulations on your new ride! And hello fellow Tennesseean!

What part of TN do you live in?

Also, best advice for your generation Prius is to check the oil every so often. Prii are known to start burning oil around the 100k mile mark. Check it every 500 miles or so especially until you know if its burning oil or not!

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It will be 9 degrees F tonight here in MS, so this is not ideal fuel economy weather.* As the temperatures rise, so will your MPG, up into the high 80s F. Welcome to Prius Chat! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine!

* The Prius still uses the engine to heat water for the cabin heater. To keep you alive, you are going to burn gas not needed to arrive at your destination.

EASmith likes this.
  4. EASmith

EASmith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    East TN, Knoxville area. I’ll will be sure to Lee an eye on the oil. Thank you for the advice.

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Few easy tips to maximize MPG:

Check tire walls for max inflation of PSI and inflate to the value front set of tires, inflate rears 2lbs below the front. Example 44psi front tires, 42 rear tires. Only do this when temp are below maybe 80 degrees and road conditions are DRY.

Check engine filter and change if necessary.

Learn how to get kick the gas engine off and keep EV on.

If your like me, resist turning on A/C or heater but only to defog and defrost for driving visibility.

EASmith and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The A/C keeping it livable for you is also cooling the HV battery, do not go overboard resisting A/C.

EASmith likes this.
  7. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Congratulations! …and welcome to PriusChat! There are many many threads on hypermiling and how to get the best MPG from your Prius, which I'm sure you'll discover, however the best advice I can give you is to drive as if there's an egg between your foot and the "go" pedal or the "stop" pedal; driving with no shoes or barefooted can be good, and try to avoid braking (when in heavy traffic, look way ahead to anticipate what is coming up!) Good luck, and enjoy your amazing Prius! ;)

EASmith likes this.