1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Purchasing a 103000 km mileage 2021 Gen 4 prius

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by luvcraft, Nov 24, 2021.

1. luvcraft

luvcraft New Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    everyone! I'm reviewing deals around me and there's a 03/2021 Gen 4 Prius for ~15,400$, with the catch that for approx. 6-8 months it has gone through 103 000 kilometers. I intend to ask a bunch of questions at the dealership and check the diagnostics on the battery , but I would like to hear some more experienced people's thoughts on this...is it too fishy? Should I be looking out for specifics?

Thanks so much.

(btw is this video legit?)

#1 luvcraft, Nov 24, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2021
  2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I would check that the 100km maintenance was done and if not do it immediately after taking ownership. Then do a drain and refill of the Toyota SSL ATF to clean out the break-in debris in the Hybrid Synergy Drive (AKA Transmission). you shoul repeat this drain/refill after another 150km.

JeffD

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    more miles / shorter time is better than the opposite. at that price, it sounds legit.

that video is gen 2, so probably not helpful. the 12v is the least of your worries. the hybrid battery has a warranty?

alanclarkeau likes this.
  4. orangecones

orangecones Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It should be 8y / 160k km - so in theory, yes. Although OP should check this.

This much mileage in such a short time - I would love to hear hear the story. I would think this indicates business use for sure. Could even be why they got rid of it - if the company has a "when a car gets to 100k, retire it" policy - because even a high mileage private owner would probably just keep on truckin' til she croaked. Given that it's THIS many miles, I would guess also implies almost exclusively highway use - which is a good thing from a wear and tear perspective. Certainly beats uber/delivery in a big city.

With all that, I don't think I would. I would maybe try to accept something a few years older and a few miles fewer -- actually that's exactly what I did. I guess the only caveat to that is if OP wants TSS-P, it's standard in the whole range 2020+ (again, OP should check the spec sheet for his country) - vs with the earlier cars you have to upgrade into a mid-high trim level to get there.

bisco likes this.