1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Purchasing a 10yo Aqua

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by ErikNZ, Nov 16, 2022.

1. ErikNZ

ErikNZ New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello from NZ!
    I'm planning to buy a Toyota Aqua for my daughter; there are quite a few for sale over here, around 10 years old and around the 100000 kms (about 60000 ~ 65000 miles) mark.
    The obvious question is about the hybrid battery, you name it.
    Is there a quick way to check that the battery is still in good condition, without having the tools to do that?
    Dealers allow you 10 mins (15 mins at a stretch) to test drive the vehicle, which isn't much.
    Terrain is flat unfortunately, unless driving for 1 hour at least, so not many options.
    I've read about getting the battery charged to a max by putting the car in gear and then flooring the brake and accelerator at the same time (in EV mode??) and then getting it to discharge by driving away, accelerating and seeing how the bars fluctuate on the dash. Does this work?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

2. PriusII&C

PriusII&C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, you can charge the battery by flooring the brake and accelerator at the same time. Just put the shifter to drive "D" when you do that. I believe the car will go to power mode automatically when you floor the accelerator, no matter what mode you select.

My Prius C had 110k miles 2.5 years ago. It has been parked in the garage since. The battery is fine. When I check it once every 3 - 4 months, the battery level bar doesn't change. So I would expect at 65k miles your Aqua should be in very good condition unless it has been abused.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    dr. prius should be able to give the battery a health check.

4. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Fellow Kiwi.
    There is an outfit in Auckland that rebuilds Aqua batteries for NZD $980 [USD $600] so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

The Aqua uses the same drivetrain as the old Prius [Have a look on "Trade-Me" at all the cheap Prius's for sale, They ALL have 600,000 km's on the clock "ex Taxi's]
    This reason alone is a good enough endorsement for buying a Toyota Hybrid.
    Except the Aqua / Prius C doesn't look like a Taxi

They are a bit of a "learning curve" and some of the things they do will scare the shit out of a DIY Mechanic.
    eg: I was coasting down a large hill and the engine started screaming. Toyota programmed it to do that IF the battery is too full [to discharge and not cook the batteries.]
    If you use the brake and accelerator at the same time, there is a warning light that comes up on the dash [I'm a left foot brake driver from racing cars, so I soon learned not to do this]
    The battery still charges without your foot on the brake, so learn to drive it fast but with a light foot.
    The same goes for EV mode.....Don't bother , because you still need to use the gas engine to recharge it.

Mine is an Aqua "L" which doesn't have a transponder key, so they are now targeted by thieves for Ram Raids.
    But the "L" doesn't have other shit to go wrong.
    All I wanted in a car was Central Lock, Power Steer, and Auto for my wife. [all the small Auto's around this era are those awful belt drive CVT's which cannot be repaired]

All I've done on mine is hook up a reversing camera to the sound system that came with the car. Added a USB charger to one of the blanks in the dash.
    And As I'm writing this, I'm fitting a cheap motorcycle alarm and flashing LED to it. This should deter some thieves, but If they actually steal it.....I don't want it back.

I live in Tauranga but was down your way 2 months ago in our Aqua. We got off the Ferry and drove out to Cape Palliser, then up to Masterton, and out to Castle Point and back, then over the Paihiatua Track to "Palmy" and then back to Tauranga.
    The Aqua is great on the open road BUT the Japanese high mileage tyres on it, soon wear you down with road noise.

#4 Kerrynzl, Nov 17, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
    bisco likes this.