1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Purchasing a replacement ABS Actuator. Advice?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mattclay, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Mattclay

Mattclay New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I would like to purchase a remanufactured unit with a warranty but haven't found any. New from Toyota is prohibitively expensive and a used part from a junkyard feels risky since so many have had this fail and its a lot of work to replace the part. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Mattclay

Mattclay New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I should add that its an 08 Prius, 107,000 miles. Part number 44510-47050
    Used parts can be had for about $150-200 on car-part.c
    Found a Reman from dorman for $700 (900-200 core)

I'm leaning towards a used part due to the low cost and the fact that my own labor is cheap. I'm assuming that the lowest mileage on an 08 or 09 used part I can would make the most sense but at the end of the day seems like a crapshoot because I'm seeing parts being sold from 2005's with 200k+ miles on them so there doesn't seem to be much predictability of when this part will fail or correlation to age and mileage.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sometimes you can find a part in Toyota's own remanufactured program: search for the part number with -84 tacked on the end. It's a long shot, but sometimes you hit. (I'm not finding one for this part.)

One of my concerns with a used part would just be about who removed it and how. If you read the Toyota TSBs dealing with actuator R&R, they are very insistent on preventing any kind of foreign material getting into any of the openings ever ... to the point of forbidding any cloth rags or fabric gloves (which could shed invisible fibers).

That leads to the question, what work practices were being followed by the used part seller who extracted that part from some wreck?

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Try the Dorman and let us know the results

5. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here is a copy of a post I made to help another individual who was troubleshooting an install after using a used actuator, I wish you the best with your repair:

If you are interested in another experience. When I calibrated my actuator assy after my install it also made noises you are describing then it calibrated fine.
    If you bought a used actuator this can complicate matters as you now wonder if it is another problem or the actuator.

I bought a used actuator off ebay and immediately sent it back after receiving it. It did not meet my expectations. I had studied this job and knew exactly what it involved and decided to bite the bullet and order a new one from Oalthe Toyota for $1,134 after seeing a used actuator assembly. The new uniit came with a new resister to match the supplied brake actuator.

If you replaced yours you know how complicated this job is. I would not buy any other parts or proceed until you know without a doubt you have a good actuator in place and no issues that were introduced during installation.

Your symptoms - not being able to calibrate the actuator point to the actuator as the problem. When my original failing actuation was in place I ran the calibration procedure just to familiarize myself with the procedure and see if it would clear the codes I was getting for the failing actuator. My results were what you are experiencing now.

Others have installed used actuators with some mixed results. I think installing a used actuator is a little like playing the lottery. As you are finding it introduces all sorts of unforeseen variables.. I do understand the cost considerations of a new actuator and hope your situation turns out for the best.

JC91006 likes this.
  6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would not buy the remanufactured unit since the cost difference between the Dorman part vs. the new Toyota part is minimal.
    $1,078 plus shipping here:
    Brake Booster - Toyota (47050-47180) | Toyota Parts

I would be inclined to try the used part considering the cost difference and recognizing that you might have to repeat the labor effort. Autobeyours.com specializes in Prius used parts and I have had good experiences with that vendor.

7. Thefoxman45

Thefoxman45 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My local u-pull-it place had one for $30 (untested, 30 day exchange warranty). That also gave me the chance to mess with trying to remove the part without disassembling my own car. I was careful to quickly cap the line and ports to minimize dirt going in and brake fluid loss. The car felt fine once I assembled but I brought it to my local Toyota dealer to have them bleed it for $100.

iPhone ?

Patrick Wong likes this.
  8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you have to remove the inverter for access?

9. Thefoxman45

Thefoxman45 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes I did, including the coolant tank and hose that bolts to it.

iPhone ?

Patrick Wong likes this.