1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Purchasing Used 2010 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by pbratt, Sep 13, 2012.

1. pbratt

pbratt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Dear All:

I'm in the market for a new Prius, and I have a pretty serious lead one a couple hours from my house. This Prius is a 2010 Level II with 29,000 miles on it, still has all the original warranties., and is being offered to me for $16,500. The color is tan (which I'm not thrilled with, but I don't care that much about car color), and has been a personal car for one drive. the Carfax and AutoCheck both show no problems, and aside from a few nicks on the paint, it looks like new.

My question is why the dealer isn't trying to sell this car as a certified Prius. Is there something wrong with it that they know about and thus feel it isn't worth fixing? Should I ask the dealer for any maintenance to be performed on it, or whether they will give a complimentary 12,000 mile warranty on? I've asked for new tires to be put on to replace that OEM, and they are doing a ATF change for free based on my request.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. Filmmaker1225

Filmmaker1225 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    By way of comparison, a local dealer, here outside of LA, was selling a 2010 2 with 18k for 19,995.00 before the haggle. Not certified because of such low mileage, and still on warranty. $16,500. sounds very good. You can always purchase a warranty from Toyota, but see if they won't throw it in. And ask about that "certified" issue. Carfax should tell you if there's been an accident reported. But you could have the car put on the lift and check the frame. Any good body shop or mechanic can tell if the seals are still on the panels etc. Good luck! I like the price, and you can put in leather for about 1300 if you shop a deal.

3. misterenigma

misterenigma New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would check and see when it was first purchased. if it was nov or dec of 09, then that means you only have 2-3 months of factory warranty left. However, if you are worried about their being some mechanical problem that they arent telling you about, you can always sign up for the $1100 100k mile bumper to bumper warranty that will cover just about anything that would be a significant expense.

4. bubbatech

bubbatech Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    16.5K sounds reasonable to me for a Prius Gen 3 with so few miles on it. It would be useful to ask what the criteria are for a certified vehicle. It is almost certain that if it were certified, that it would have a higher price.

5. pbratt

pbratt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks everyone. One the car fax it says that the car was purchased in September 2009. So, I'm going to miss out on the power train warranty, correct?

6. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Power train warranty is 5/60, so no worries there.

I think they'll certify it for you if you're willing to pay for it or negotiate for it. From what I remember, it costs the dealer around $700 for Toyota certification.

REV

7. greekchampion04

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    fwiw, i just got a 2010 Prius II with 27,500 miles for right around $19,000 here in Northern Virginia and that was the best price around... my gut tells me either the market is completely different where you are or there is something wrong with the car that you arent seeing.

edit: mine is a CPO

8. TsKarma

TsKarma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    FYI-My local Toyota dealer rep that was trying to sell me a certified Prius said it costs around $500. Take it with a grain of salt. Some of these reps just don't know and will make up stuff as they go. One guy that was with me during the test drive didn't know what the the grill/filter to the right of the passenger back seat was for (I am a newbie, so I finally figured out it is the hybrid battery air intake after I researched it here).
    It never hurts to ask. They just might comply with your request. Good luck

9. TsKarma

TsKarma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Was that price OTD (out the door) or before taxes, etc...?

10. greekchampion04

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    that was before tax, title, left arm, ect.

11. TsKarma

TsKarma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Got it. LOL.