1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pure bliss! No more reverse beeping.

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by mmmodem, Dec 7, 2012.

1. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thank you Piercey Toyota! My PiP turned over 4800 miles this morning and the maintenance required message has been nagging me the past week. I plan to skip these useless 5000 mile non oil change intervals but since the dealer does it for free, why not? I also asked them to turn off that incessant beeping that has been driving me nuts for the past 2 months.

Service guy asked for my maintenance card. No idea what he was talking about until I found it in the mailbox after I got home. Toyota needs to speed up the process. I can't be the only one to hit 5k miles in two months.

It was just heavenly backing into my garage after the service. I had asked Palo Alto Toyota I purchased the PiP from to turn off the beep but I was so excited that I forgot about it until after I signed the papers. Sales person said I had to pay extra to do it.

Anyway, poopoo to whoever is the idiot engineer at Toyota for thinking a reverse beep inside a car is a safety feature. (My friend's Celica had it too.) Kudos to Piercey Toyota in Milpitas for turning it off for no fee to your customers

sweetie, SJ PiP, KK6PD and 2 others like this.
  2. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    honestly, i don't find it that annoying lol. also, i suspect that decision was driven by lawyers, not engineers.

gotta love the dealer asking for money. sounds like a call to toyota corporate is in order.

and yeah, the toyota care card took absolutely forever. something like 6 weeks for me as well. but 5k in two months is pretty intense.

3. raimix

raimix Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if there was a survey for improvement, this beep should be near top of the list.

4. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    How about the electrical recharge door?

5. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    If it was driven by lawyers all cars would have it. Most stupid things done in the name of avoiding lawsuits that I've been familiar with are driven by people who think they're lawyers, but who lack even a basic understanding of tort law.

6. mmmodem

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Consider yourself lucky. My long commute makes me very susceptible to strange noises or sounds. That beeping noise after one hour driving each way to work and back is like having a woodpecker hammer at my ears. It can make one take chances and rush the parking procedure just to silence that racket.

Lawyers huh? I find lawyers come up with these ridiculous regulations because ultimately a customer proverbially speaking failed to realize coffee is hot and spilled it on themself and sued.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What with the joystick shifter that doesn't hold position, I don't mind the reverse beep. I've had more than one occasion where I thought I was in a forward (Drive) gear, but the beep saved my bacon.

lensovet likes this.
  8. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The disable reverse beep was the very first mod I did to both of my 2012 Pri..

mmmodem likes this.
  9. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    This is exactly what I mean. People form their opinions about subjects as important as tort reform based on flawed assumptions, misunderstandings, and flat out misconceptions.

Prior to that lawsuit, McDonald's required franchisees to serve coffee at between 180-190°F. For ten years leading up to that lawsuit McDonald's was made aware of 700 cases where people had received severe burns from their coffee, but McDonald's quality control manager testified in court that the number of injuries was insufficient for them to evaluate their practices (i.e., it's cheaper to pay the cost of lawsuits than fix the problem). The plaintiff's burns were so severe that she was hospitalized for 8 days, and underwent several skin graft surgeries. She attempted to get McDonald's just to pony up for the medical bills and the wages she lost while hospitalized (total of about $18,000), but they refused. The case even went to a mediator who suggested McDonald's should settle for $225,000. McDonald's again refused and opted to take it to trial.

McDonald's had several chances to avoid the situation and they declined, preferring to gamble on the outcome. They got what they deserved.

10. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Consider the disabled Nav functionality while the car is in motion. This is done on Toyota, but not on another Japanese company, Honda. The only explanation can be that the Toyota lawyers are more conservative/have a stronger voice than their counterparts at Honda.

11. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Of course. Have you seen their new floor mats? These things barely reach halfway up the floor on the drivers side. You think they want to deal with lawsuits about how some idiot ran his kid over because he didn't realize the car was in reverse?

12. mmmodem

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ack! If the NAV wasn't an utter piece of $&#%, I'd be upset at that nanny tech too.

13. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    While the Nav in the Base may be lacking, I find the version in the Advanced quite usable.

delrey, mmmodem and Frank Perkins like this.
  14. Jonas Studebaker

Jonas Studebaker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That beep is annoying. For me the toughest adjustment has been the FOB. I have put it on a lanyard and worn it around my neck so I won't lose track of it.

15. mmmodem

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have it on ring with my work badge clipped to my belt. I can't wear a lanyard because I often inspect precision surfaces for my job and it won't do to have something hard knock on the product I am inspecting. I wish Toyota would make their key fob like Mazda. It's larger but thin and sized like a credit card. Then I could just leave it in my wallet.

16. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Like this?

[​IMG]

I thought I read that someone actually did it (bought one and had it programmed and cut for a Prius).. but I cant seem to find that post now.. here's a thread where it was discussed though:

Lexus Key Card FOB Compatible? | PriusChat

Totmacher likes this.
  17. Totmacher

Totmacher Honey Badger don't give a carp

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Is the beeping really necessary when you have a large like 9x7 screen indicating your car is in reverse?

First thing I did is drove from the show room lot to the service lot and had the rear beep and the drivers and passangers seatbelt beeps disabled.

18. Totmacher

Totmacher Honey Badger don't give a carp

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

As sad as it sounds I would pay good money for that...

Tracksyde likes this.
  19. delrey

delrey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Berkeley Toyota (I-80 loc) turned mine off Monday morning. I made a special trip just for that purpose. No charge.

20. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I think waiting for the car to boot is the most annoying thing. Without fail I jump in the car, push the button, throw it into gear and try to go only to find myself stationary because the screen is still welcoming me to the Prius. Joy.