1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Purpose of AC FOB Button...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Gunjee, Jul 7, 2014.

1. DrPepperholik

DrPepperholik Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I haven't really used the remote AC, I always forget to turn it on. Plus you have to be so close to it you'll reach the car before it could cool it off enough to be comfortable.

2. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a similar issue with the remote start. The range isn't bad, but it needs to be line-of-sight. It's important to park close enough to work where you can get to a window or glass door/door w/window so you can trip it about 10 minutes before you need to go to your car.

Hot or cold, 10 minutes is more than enough to change the comfort factor or get the windows defrosted (at least enough to easily brush off ice).

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, it only works if the temperature is above 68°F IIRC. The solar panels will still ventilate the car (I've heard the SPVS "grumble" at temps below 40°F but where the sun is still strong like in March/April or Sept/Oct to heat up the interior of the car even though it's cold outside.

That's what the SPVS is for - to vent out the hot air and bring in outside air. SPVS is supposedly designed to negate the need to crack the window open or to tilt the moonroof while parked (although you certainly can still do that if you wish). The Remote A/C really is just a luxury feature, allowing the owner to further cool the cabin to a more comfortable temperature before getting in.

Also, unlike cracking a window open, the SPVS is blowing air into the cabin and venting it out so air is actually moving inside the cabin and is not stale. With a cracked window, you'll have to hope there's some wind to vent out the hot air, otherwise you're just relying on convection and letting the hot air exit the vehicle on its own accord.

Yeah the remote range is short. It makes sense for a regular fob (to save battery with SKS) but I think there was some oversight (possibly because Remote A/C was added on after the decision was made to keep the fob range short or they didn't think it was that big of a deal).

4. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was on the fence about the solar. In the end, my wife didn't want one and I gave in. I would consider buying something like this, but I've dealt with the Phoenix heat for over 20 years and I haven't fond much that helps ease the pain of getting back in the car. :) I park in the shade or facing away from the sun with sunshades, but no matter how you look at it, the radiated heat here is simply brutal. Venting the car with an open back window for a bit helps, but I generally just let the A/C do it's thing. Compared to the heat/humidity of Vietnam and the heat in the Middle East desert, this is nothing. Besides, it's the penance I accept for not going shopping earlier. :)

5. robertk328

robertk328 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Cracking the windows and parking in the shade is a good option for sure. Did that before I upgraded to the solar roof version :)

To get a bit more range out of the remote, hold the fob up to your chin when pressing the button. I usually hold it a bit back from the chin bone, mid-way between the chin and my neck. Body acts a bit like an antenna. Learned that many years ago and it works pretty well.

6. DrPepperholik

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I imagine myself doing this in the parking lot only to find out it doesn't work and I look like a dork. :cautious: I'll be sure to try this when nobody is around.

acceleraptor likes this.
  7. SuperGLS

SuperGLS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We are looking to replace my wife's Prius Two with a Prius Three with the Solar Package. Reading this thread it sounds like the Solar Package is nice when the weather isn't extremely hot. For actually cooling, buying the Toyota Remote Start is a better idea and then just running the AC. Is that the general consensus?

You guys say the range isn't particularly good? You mean for the Remote AC function with the SPVS? Or for the remote start?

8. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Go to the PriusShop and get the front window sun shade. Very high quality, the fit is great and it knocks out a lot of the heat coming in from that big ole wind shield.

9. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've thought about that. Do you find it cumbersome to roll up for storage like some reviewers complained about?

10. DrPepperholik

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I haven't really used the remote AC. I just don't see the need. I didn't get the SPVS for the remote AC but for the ventilation feature which is nice. It gets in the mid 90's here now and it's not unheard of to reach 100 or get darn close to it and the SPVS has been a nice feature, I've had a few passengers comment on how much cooler it felt in the car compared to their cars without that feature.

I imagine this in combination with the SPVS would make a big difference. Since my windows are tinted, except the windshield, that has helped too. I have a generic shade I purchased for the Mustang that helped it a lot, I also got those windows tinted. I'll have to put the generic one in the car and see how it goes.

11. SuperGLS

SuperGLS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I myself don't see the need at all, but my wife, who gets in and out of the car all day and who is always hot in the first place, really wants to do everything possible to stay cool. She does all city driving and I am thinking that she might not even get the three minutes out of the remote AC because the battery is often fairly low. That's why I'm thinking Remote Start in combo with the SPVS venting.

What color interior do you have?

12. robertk328

robertk328 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I guess nobody is paying all that much attention to what I'm doing for me to worry about it. I just figure everyone is going about their business like I am - but maybe not. Either way I couldn't care less :)

13. DrPepperholik

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well I do around town driving and with the regenerative braking I do max battery sometimes but mostly it's around half.

I have bisque interior. It's currently the fabric that comes in the car but I intend on replacing with leather eventually. It will be the leather that's in most cars, not the Softex.

It'd be my luck someone would walk by at that exact moment. Actually, if the signal could reach through the wall I could probably do this as I'm gathering up my purse and shutting down my PC for the day before I walk out to the car.

14. robertk328

robertk328 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You could pretend you're scratching your chin or something. But really, I've done it a bunch and never had anyone say something. It takes 1/2 a second.

15. DrPepperholik

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah. I'm sure it's not that bad. I'll have to try it and see if it works.

16. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Be sure to post a selfie. :)

DrPepperholik and acceleraptor like this.
  17. acceleraptor

acceleraptor Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I do the my-head-as-an-amplifier thing all the time since reading about it on some life hacks list. No one's ever noticed. (And if I get brain cancer or chin cancer or something after 20 years of doing this I'll have the perfect scapegoat.)

18. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We get Prius hate on the roads because, face it, we look dorks just driving them.

19. DrPepperholik

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sadly, yes. :( I routinely get passed by men driving their macho trucks to overcompensate for their own short comings. Then there are the idiots who think I'm so slow they can pull out right in front of me.

I actually almost got t-boned on my way to pick my son up from daycare yesterday. I was coming off the interstate and the exit doesn't have ramps but loopy flat roads. This girl had a stop sign on her side and I had the right of way. She stopped then started going again, saw me, stopped again then went again almost hitting me. I had to slam on brakes and scoot over to the right as far as I could. She was either distracted (read: texting and being dumb) and/or didn't think a Prius would go that fast.

upload_2014-7-18_9-23-46.png

She's red, I'm green, where the blobs are is where she almost hit me.

20. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow. Glad everyone is ok from that. One thing about the Prius, other than it really can scoot when you want it to, is how short the stopping distance is. My had to use my anti-locks last week and stopped so fast I was afraid the dump truck behind was going to plow me.