1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Purse tray accessory warning

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bob Allen, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I noticed an item in the accessory forum that I think deserves a cautionary note. The $18.98 gizmo is a tray that fits on the hump between the two front seats, in front of the console. It's held in place by velcro and is intended to hold your purse, wallet, sunglasses, etc. Admittedly, what to do with these items is a problem, but this is a dangerous solution. As a pilot, I am cautious of anything that can get into the rudder pedals of the airplane, including pop cans, bags, etc; exactly the type of items one would place on this tray, and which would create the same hazard. A velcro bin would work better, although it would prevent opening the secret drawer in the front of the console.

Just a thought.

Bob

4 people like this.
  2. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Why not just put them IN that storage thing between the two seats?

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've had a soda can roll under a rudder pedal. That's not fun at all.

Tom

4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like your velcro bin idea. In fact, that's what I've long had. I velcro'd a center-hump litter basket down there. I can partially open the secret drawer when the litter basket's in place. But if I ever need to open the drawer fully, it's easy to just un-velcro and move the litter basket.

5. Frayadjacent

Frayadjacent Resident Conservative

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I'd think putting anything down there, aside from possibly shifting and interfering with pedal function... would block the little slide out tray in the center console... and that's where I keep my gun.

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Bob, I'm not sure if you've had the opportunity to use one of the trays or not, but they pretty much wedge in between the armrest console and the center console. The velcro is really not even needed because it's formed so well to fit in that spot.

I worry about things going under the accelerator as well (that's why I moved to the Weathertech Extreme mats), have been using the cargo tray for close to a year and haven't seen it flinch.

Just wanted to share some real-world experience about the product. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Bob. Glad to see you back active on the forums!

7. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think Bob is not worried about the tray flinching, but the stuff one might put on the tray.

8. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Danny: I'm not worried that the tray itself would come loose, but objects on it may slide off in turns. Thanks for the welcome back!
    Bob

9. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Now everyone knows where you gun is, even the crooks. I hope you don't leave it there when you're not in the car. Better still I hope you were joking.

10. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    He's from Texas. You don't want to find out if he's joking about the gun...