1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PUSH TO START BUTTON REMOVAL

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Flagmaster, Nov 25, 2021.

1. Flagmaster

Flagmaster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Please forgive me for asking a question about my new Rav4 in the Prius chat message forums.

I upgraded my 2018 Prius Prime Plus for a brand new 2021 Rav4 Prime SE (middle model).

I have a simple question, can anyone tell me how to pull off the panel that holds the Push To Start button without damaging the trim?

In my previous 2012 PP, and my 2018 PP it was dirt simple.
    In the Rav4 Prime, it looks to be the same, but it's SO SOLID I can't get it out.

Why am I doing this? Im installing a special remote start that I need to get on a few of those wires.

Thanks so much.

2. MalachyNG

MalachyNG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    check the remote start website they may have videos on how to DIY. I imagine the install will be similar to installing a remote start on any Push-to-start Rav4 model. The directions for the remote starts I got for my 2016 Prius and Toyota Tundra had me open up the plastic around and under the steering wheels to access a wiring harness to plug into. It should be some screws underneath the steering wheel to remove that bottom panel in the footwell area that will open up to the harness connecting to the start button and steering wheel.

3. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Usually the panel that holds the start-stop button is held on only by snap in retainers. A plastic pry bar like these from Harbor Freight will allow you to pry the panel off without damage. Just be careful not to pry too hard when resistance is felt. There may be screws at the bottom.

Nylon Pry Bar Installer Kit, 4 Pc.

The connector to the switch is held on by a little push tab that locks it in place. Lock tabs on the backside of the switch need to be squeezed to withdraw it from the front.