1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pushing to the 99.9 MPG barrier

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by Espressobeanie, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Espressobeanie

Espressobeanie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    If my on-board computer is accurate, it's possible to do this. The problem is that when you go to park your car for the night and wake up the next morning, you can't use the battery charge until the unit has time to warm up, so you may as well park the car with 2 bars left.

Can anyone guide me to tips on getting the most optimal use out of your Prius?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! start by pumping up your tyres and learning pulse and glide. all the best!(y)

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ???

What are you getting at? I am unaware of any advantage to draining the battery before parking.

4. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I've gotten 92 MPGs before but that was only 3 miles and then drops rapidly from there. The only standard Prius's that's gotten that kind of MPGs were the modded ones with high capacity HV battery packs. The highest MPG I gotten was 58 MPG calculated by hand Hypermiling. The Engine is going to come on regardless since that's with any car since it's not a pure EV car. The engine has to warm up to run properly and you get the worst MPGs in the winter since the Engine stays on longer coming from a very cold engine. There is no point of needing to know if the battery is full or have two bars since it doesn't make a difference on start up since cold starts will always be your worst MPGs. I just park it not worrying about it. It's best to keep the AC on at a low rate since having Windows rolled down causes drag using more gas lowing your MPGs. Any access weight stored in the car also reduces your milage.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Numerous serious hypermilers, here on PC and in Japan, have exceeded 100 MPG for great distances, even whole tanks, on standard non-plugin Gen2 and Gen3 Liftbacks. But the Americans were generally doing it in non-commuting conditions. Some of the Japanese, however, found good commuting conditions in which to do that. That is how one achieved 118 MPG for an entire tank.

Most of us just don't have the time or appropriate traffic conditions for it.

6. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This was my one (and only!) attempt to "hyper-mile." It was NOT fun at all. Try driving 83 miles, at 34 mph, and you get the picture. It took all my strength just to stay awake! I had two large cups of coffee with me.:ROFLMAO:

I left the house at 3 AM, so as not to hit any traffic. I could never do this during normal commuting hours. It was just an experiment to see how I could do. I would much rather drive my Prius normally, and get 62 MPG.
    Notice I was in PWR mode, and the tires were not overinflated if I recall. So you can get great gas mileage in any driving mode, just go light on the pedal and reduce speed. But it's sure not enjoyable! I'll never do it again. I don't see any purpose in it. 20 bucks of gas once a month will not hurt me. (I usually don't let my car get below 1/4 tank.)

image.jpg