1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Put air in all tires a week ago, and now all tires are low in air again. Problems?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jane Doe, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Jane Doe

Jane Doe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello all,
    About a week ago I got the warning light that my tire pressure was low. I checked the tires and all of them were low ( I believe, I can't remember exactly). I put air in them and then the warning light went away. About a week later the tire pressure light came on again. I checked all the tires using a gauge and all of them were low. I then put air in all the tires and the warning light went away.

Does anyone know a possible reason for needing to put air in tires again after putting air in just a week before?
    I don't understand how all the tires could have leaks in them. But I am open to any suggestions or ideas about why this happened.

Thanks!

2. RobertK

RobertK Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Changes in temperature can cause air pressure in tires to change. You also need to reset the TPMS system using the button under the steering column after adjusting the tire pressure.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    All of mine read low this week, after the substantial temperature drop here relative to last week.

Pressing the TPMS button under the dash is only needed if you want to change what pressure the warning is set for. If it is set where you want it and the tires are low, you just put air in the tires.

-Chap

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pump them up to 42/40 like many of us do. you won't have to add air when the temp changes, and you won't have to adjust the tpms. and the light won't come on unless you have a leak
    i've been doing it for 14 years without issue.

WilDavis and Rmay635703 like this.
  5. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you live in Amherst, MA, I live very close to you and I had the same thing happen yesterday. Suddenly all tires are down to low 30's. It is the temperature change in the area that most likely caused it. It was ridiculously hot last week and now it's in the 60's. This is normal, don't panic.

Jane Doe and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    You also might want to check the valve cores to make sure they are all tight. And while you're at it, check the pressure in the spare. Sure wish it would cool off here.

7. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tire pressure fluctuation of 3-4 psi due to ambient temp is common, but without knowing what temperature changes and tire pressure before and after, it is hard to guess what caused the drop. Have you had tire installed recently? If not, any possibility of vandalism? If you continue to have problem, one of those external TPMS may gives you better idea when and how much each tire is losing air. Costs only ~$50 at Amazon.

IMG_20180830_175002.jpg

#7 Salamander_King, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    WilDavis likes this.
  8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Plug in a laptop with Techstream and you can also see all four pressures, temperatures, and transmitter battery conditions. Doesn't make as tidy a package to keep on your dash, but on the upside, it's useful for a lot of other maintenance and repairs.

-Chap

9. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Tires lose 1-3 lbs a month, and as mentioned, Hugh changes in air pressure accelerate the loss, buy a good air gauge, not a 10dollar sucker and some sort of pump, or buy air, but check them monthly and keep them at 40lbs, better mpg, safer, and easy to spot a low tire, and get an air valve tool to make sure the valves are tight, they usually are, but a bubble every day adds up.(a drop of oil in the valve will show a leak, and if the oil happens to get in, good, lubrication).