1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Putting Air in Prius Tires

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JimmyPri, Dec 28, 2016.

1. JimmyPri

JimmyPri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I posted a new video of a review of a Ryobi inflator (small air compessor) and me putting air in the 2016 Prius tire and the donut spare. It is a lithium battery powered unit. I went with this inflator because I felt uneasy about the cheaper inflators out there that use the Prius 12v outlet. I already had 2 batteries since I have other Ryobi power tools. No more going to gas stations for air, what a relief. Many other Prius videos on my channel.

bisco likes this.
  2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A common bicycle air pump -- full size floor standing variety, not compact hand-held -- is quite adequate for avoiding trips to gas stations for air.

shrek and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. JimmyPri

JimmyPri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That may be true if you adjust 1 lb of air and that is all you have. How long does it take to adjust a donut spare that looses about 5 lbs just sitting in the trunk? I had looked at some of the foot pump ones and a few complaints on them were that they heated up the rubber hose so much the user had to stop and wait. For me I decided to move out of the past and utilize some new things that make jobs easier. I used bicycle pumps in the past and know that the air pumps today are much easier. But this is not to argue with you. To each his or her own way of doing things is right for you.

bisco likes this.
  4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    5 pounds on a full size tire takes 35 strokes of my usual bicycle pump, or about 20-ish seconds. The smaller donut spare will need fewer strokes.

This is much much quicker than I can drive to the nearest fuel station air pump. I can't even get out my long driveway (safely) in that time.
    So? Any electric pump's hose will do exactly the same thing, for the same reason.

My pump's hose does get quite warm when adding 5+ psi to all four tires of a new car or after a shop has worked on tires. But it does not get too hot to use, and is still faster than driving anywhere.
    It isn't a hard job, by any able-bodied adult standard.

Watching my aging dad get too weak to do much of anything, I can see the problems of continually taking the easy, lowest-effort path. Damn if I'm going to let my body weaken so much, prematurely, due to lack of exercise. Use it or lose it, and he is losing it very rapidly.

#4 fuzzy1, Dec 28, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. jtg61

jtg61 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I own one of these and absolutely love it.They're $44.98 at Lowes. Set the desired tire pressure on the digital readout and it stops right on the dot. It also has a 12v adapter so you can use it on the go.
    Kobalt 120-Volt Electric Air Inflator
    Item # 791911 Model # KLDP1
    Shop Kobalt 120-Volt Electric Air Inflator at Lowes.com

6. JimmyPri

JimmyPri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You are right about lack of exercise by a lot of people. I get my daily exercise from fast walking and tai chi, chi gung, and bagua.

RCO and bisco like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have a ton of ryobi 18 volt lithium tools. great products for the money. i purchased a 120v senco compressor for my garage. quietest compressor ever, no need for ear muffs.

RCO likes this.
  8. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I also have this device. Set the pressure and walk away and do something else. Then move to the next tire... I love it.

#8 krmcg, Dec 28, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  9. JimmyPri

JimmyPri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Ryobi is loud. You are lucky to have a quiet one. The Ryobi tools are great for the money.

10. JimmyPri

JimmyPri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, I don't know why I waited so long to get one.