1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Putting "real" tires on my Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Sporin, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've spoken to a few Prii owners here in Atlanta, my wife's brother being one, and most seem perfectly happy with 40+mpg during their daily commutes. My sisters husband has a gen2 Civic hybrid and he was absolutely giddy at getting almost 48 on an all highway trip from here to Pensacola Fl. I think we who try to get more are probably a niche. Most just drive them like any other economical "bullet" commuter vehicle.

Sporin likes this.
  2. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So far with about 600 miles on them, the Defenders are matching the well-worn Conti's for overall MPG. That reads as an improvement to me given that brand new tires always drop your MPG from worn-in older tires. We've had a ton of rain lately and they've done very well, zero hydroplaning, good grip. Very pleased so far, hope to get a long life out of them.

BluetoothEdsel likes this.
  3. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting thread. I have been doing lots of research on lrr tires. Part of what makes them lrr is the thinner linings used to make them. There in lies the trade off for a couple of mpg's. Longevity and ruggedness vs lighter weight and fragility. Seems safety warrants a bit less mpg's also.

BluetoothEdsel likes this.
  4. BluetoothEdsel

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good to read all the reports here. My 2014 came with the OEM Yoko's and within 2 weeks of buying the car I had a puncture (non-repairable. Grrr.) Happened on my regular commute... never had a flat in 3 sets of tires over 12 years / 90,000 mis. on my Corolla. So although the tire guys insisted it was a random occurrence, I suspected either a) that one tire was defective b) LRR's are less robust than regular tires or c) the OEM Yoko's aren't up to snuff. My hunch is that it's the OEM Yoko's, since it seems like most of the complaints on PC about early punctures are with those tires. (Also, there are a zillion Prii in San Diego, so if all the LRR's were that fragile in the face of local road debris, I'd expect to constantly see Prii on the sides of the road changing flat tires.) That said, it makes sense to me that LRR's might overall still be less robust than regular tires.

5. BluetoothEdsel

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    PS - Glad to meet another Prius driver whose commute is "uphill both ways." :)

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ Any tire can catch a nail or screw. We've had a couple of puncture with our 2010, one with the OEM Michelin Pilot 215/45R17, the other with Michelin X-Ice 195/65R15. It happens.

(I've plug repaired both instances, no further problems with those tires. In the first case the dealership deemed it unrepairable, to close too the edge of tread. Considering it was a tiny finishing nail, I decided to give plug repair a try, something new for me.)

7. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree that a puncture can happen to any tire. Still, the changes they make to get a tire LLR (lower tread, thinner rubber for less weight) inherently make the tire less resistant to trauma.

As I said, that suspicion has absolutely played out as I hypothesized going from the OEM Yoko LLR's to the Contis. For me... and I'm not making some grand, declarative, "you must..." statement at all — for me, the switch to a non-LLR tire with deeper tread and such has been a worthwhile switch despite the slightly fewer overall MPG. The roads I travel demand a more robust tire than most LLR's seem to be (and certainly the Yoko's that came on my '10 Prius).