1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Putting the PHV through it's paces in the hot desert... (Rick's turn for the PHV)

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by HTMLSpinnr, Aug 14, 2010.

1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting, it looked really difficult to stay in ev mode accelerating to 60. It would be a nice improvement if they had an ev button that could lock it in that mode, pressing the accelerator hard could operate force a change mode like it does to kick down in an automatic transmission. If the ECU allowed multiple of the packs to power the car it also seems that the phv would safely increase its acceleration.

How did you calculate time to 60? Do you have the losses for drag, friction, and electricity?

All I could come up with was

Energy = Kinetic Energy + ME(mechanical losses durring accelleration) + electrical losses durring accelleration.

Pt = 1/2 MV^2 + MF(V^2,t) integrated over time + EL (P,t) integrated over time.

assuming that power is constant. But I don't know how much the mechanical or electrical losses are.

You should be able to pull 200 A through 6 awg wire safely for a short period of time. Toyota specked the GIII to provide 27 kw at peak so the power is higher. I would also assume that the 60kw spec on the mg2 is also engineered with a safety margine. I do not know what the peak power through the inverter is though. In EV mode what is MG1 doing power wise? Just geeking out. My guestimate is the current hardware with the addition of the standard ev button and software changes should be able to hit 60mph in less than 20 seconds.

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It would seem that power output (either current or realized output) is significantly lower - I quickly glanced at SG at 50-something MPH and noted that MG2 torque was only 43ft/lbs (subtract 8% per XGAUGE spreadsheet) w/ the HSI near it's EV peak. It's well higher at or near 0mph. I may attempt to try it again observing torques for both (might require a passenger or a camera fixed on SG).

Thinking accelerator pedal demand, MG1 torque, MG2 torque, and MPH would be most valid displays. Thoughts?

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Can you get MG1 current? I still would like to confirm if MG1 is assisting (consumpting electricity) during acceleration (in negative RPM).

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Is my calc so far off no one is commenting out of politeness ?

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    AG, I calculated this way (with staring values):
    Power(p) in watts
    Force(f) in Newtons
    Acceleration(a) = 1 meter/sec*sec
    Mass(m) = 1450 kg
    Time(t) = 30 seconds
    Distance(d) in meters
    Work(w) in Newton*meters

f=ma
    w=f*d, substituing d = at^2/2, we have w=fat^2/2
    p=w/t

Substituting fat^2/2 for w and cancelling a 't' gives p = fat/2.
    Our case conveniently had a=1, so p in watts simplifies to mt/2

6. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    acceleration is not a constant, it decreases with velocity if power is held constant, so your formula for distance is wrong. Your formula also doesn't account for any losses.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    AG,
    You may be right, I thought I could use average acceleration. The power calculated would be net at the wheels.

8. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    (P) Power = (F)Force * (v)velocity
    P = Mass(M) * acceleration(a) * v
    a=dv/dt

P = Mv * dv/dt

which is quite solvable to if P is a constant and we integrate between velocity of 0 and V

PT = MV^2/2

This formula also says the change in kinetic energy of the system is equal to power * time applied, which is the energy added to the system. Mass of the car is also a constant since we are much slower than the speed of light. The power must also overcome drag, friction, and electrical losses. I'm sure someone out there knows something about these figures. Power is really a function of motor speed, so the power curve of the motor when taken into account would increase this time. Given this motor though making a Power a constant is a good estimation

9. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    We cannot read MG1/2 current if following the XGAUGE spreadsheet, - only torque, temp, or RPM, and Temp/RPM cannot be polled simultaneously. Torque/RPM can be read simultaneously. Torque could imply power applied.

10. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Its a direct formula to calculate power from torque and rpm. There also is a constant formula between rpm and vehicle speed. So the only missing information is voltage and you can solve for current. If you are concerned with power at the battery you can simply use voltage of the battery pack. If you like I can look up the constant for ft-lb*rpm to watts.

11. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    w/o being invasive, we cannot read that either unless the XGAUGE is available. I've signed an agreement stating I can't disassemble or reverse-engineer the car, so there won't be any volt-meter probing... ;)

12. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I definitely don't want to make you violate anything to satisfy my curiosity.

I'd like to see mg1 and mg2 torque at 50mph and 60mph on flat roads. You've provided some really good information.

13. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think a video of a 0-60 acceleration on the SG2 w/ MG1, MG2 torque, speed, and accelerator position would satisfy. We already know the RPM at those speeds based on gearing.

1 person likes this.
  14. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The first video told me a lot. I'd also like to see the torque at constant speed. That would give me a better idea of kwh/m at that speed. Which ever 2 speeds you normally want to cruise on electric. I wanted to get a high speed and a lower speed to see how the losses affect the car.

15. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, this is the approach I used. Plugging in numbers for
    PT = MV^2/2
    gives the same result I found of 21.7 kw.

I plugged in the end numbers of 30 meters/sec and 30 seconds. We could plug in intermediate values say at 10 and 20 seconds to verify the constant power assumption.

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, that would settle my theory. If the ICE is off and you see torque in MG1, that would suggest motive force to the wheels.

17. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    sagebrush,
    I hadn't fully thought about the averaging. You should get the correct numbers for average power no matter what the acceleration is, since the same work is performed to get the car up to speed other than losses no matter how it accelerates.

Conceptually it just doesn't look right. Just remember not to do the common mistake of thinking twice the power will accelerate a car in half the time. It takes four times the power.

18. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I promise

19. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If DC/AC conversion and gearset losses add up to 10%, and power to roll the tires averages say 3 kw, the battery would be discharging about 28 kw.

So says my detailed calcs, anyway ;-)

As an aside, I know people keep hoping to shoehorn the Prius PHV into a no-matter-what EV for 14 miles, but that is just not the design objective, and I'm glad it is not. The cost would be prohibitive.

20. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    No amount of acceleration or pressure at any speed resulted in ANY torque from MG1 until the ICE was activate. All motive torque comes from MG2.

I did see one instance immediately after where MG1 and MG2 both showed negative torque though... but it was after the video stopped recording (2GB max for my camera for each clip).

The video is long, and in some cases, under-exposed when I was facing west. Prob not a whole lot of value in posting it in it's entirety, so I'll spend a few minutes editing it down to show the most interesting values (constants, and decrementing torque at constant pedal). Also, I neglected to change the update rate until AFTER it had stopped recording, so the best instantaneous figures were "lost". Once the car charges a bit, I'll make a second run.

All torque values should have 8% removed per XGAUGE spreadsheet.

Some things I observed:

• The HSI bar appears to be a % of max available electric torque at a given speed. It does change as speed increases as max torque decreases while speed increases. At a fixed pedal position, the bar will move closer to "max" as speed increases. This is what makes staying in EV so difficult unless you constantly adjust your pedal pressure.
    • At lower speeds, in Eco, you can stay in EV at up to ~80% pedal pressure (I routinely gave 75% close to the top). At higher speeds (i.e. 50mph) it's closer to 60% before you cross the "ICE line". These numbers will be lower in Normal or Pwr modes.
    • Highest observed instantaneous torque from a stop was 165ft/lbs (subtract 8%) before triggering the ICE.
    • On average, 5-10ft/lbs was required for level travel, depending on speeds
    • Holding constant pedal pressure will result in slowly decrementing torque output.
    • Off-pedal regen averages anywhere from -11 to -14 ft/lbs.
    • Highest regen observed was over -80 ft/lbs at lower speeds.
    Some averages I saw:

• 35mph on a slight up-hill takes about 8.5ish ft/lbs
    • 35mph on a slight down-hill (same street) took 5-6.4ft/lbs.
    • 45mph later on same street was about 7ft/lbs.
    I'll add the video once it's pruned and posted. You'll need to view in at least 360p to clearly see the digits.

1 person likes this.