1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Putting the PHV through it's paces in the hot desert... (Rick's turn for the PHV)

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by HTMLSpinnr, Aug 14, 2010.

1. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I have 3 girls - 20 months, 9 years, and 14 1/2 years. The youngest's car seat is a Sunshine Radiant 65 (still rear facing), which is pretty narrow, however as they get older and bigger, there is less and less room. The kids do "fit" in the back seat, but it is cramped. Clearly we'll only be in this situation hopefully for another few years, but once we're loaded up, the trunk gets filled (I keep holes for some rearward visibility), and there's usually bags or pillows that get stuffed on the rear and front passenger floor as well. Forget bringing 3 dogs (1 small, 2 large) as well... Forget any reasonable camping either - there's just no room for gear unless we put it on something hitch mounted.

For my wife's day to day running around, the teenager rides up front and there's plenty of back seat room in the 2004. Family outings in either car work ok as well. It's the long trips that kill us where we need to bring stuff.

2. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, 3 kids Prius to small
    School bus may not be big enough:D

Wow, 20 month old with old kids:eek:
    We been watching our 3 y grandaughter for a month and I think have aged 3 years

We had 4 kids within 3 years ( twins) but we were to young ( and stupid)to know how much work we had to do, you just did it

3. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Do I understand that your "mpg" is just miles traveled over system calculated fuel consumed (rather than miles traveled in HV mode over system calculated fuel consumed)?

If so, then HV mode mpg = reported mpg * HV percentage, correct?
    Example: 65 mpg reported, 80% HV ratio ~ 52 mpg in HV mode

I guess this is not completely true since the ICE comes on while still in EV mode for warm up, but I don't recall anything in the thread separating the HV mpg.

4. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I did have some trips that were HV only, but I didn't maintain individual trip records for all except the first. Total MPG is as displayed in the MID, which would be combined EV + HV. Sadly, I didn't keep the EV/HV ratio rolling as I was interested in per-day stats, so it would be nearly impossible to determine in it's entirety what the HV only MPG was. It would be nice if EV/HV was maintained per "trip" meter so that I could have seen both ratios.

I also had some EV only testing where I triggered the ICE briefly, but didn't maintain a separate record since I was mostly "testing". Thus, the records aren't complete enough to calculate what you're looking for.

When the engine comes on during EV for warm-up, that does count against EV, which is why in nearly every instance, I had 83%/17% ratios when the EV range exhausted.

Do recall I did report in a 65.8mpg trip that was hybrid only - this was the first day. The car was pre-warmed, but not pre-charged.

3rd was quite the surprise - and some of my first words were "Crap, now we'll have to trade a Prius in for a mini-van..."

5. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks! That was impressive, depending as always on the conditions.

Awww. How sweet, Dad.

6. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well, I see the following trips posted (assuming I'm not missing any that you put in this thread - it's definitely about 70 miles short of your total distance):
    8/25: 9.4 miles, 0% HV
    8/24: 61.6 miles, 76% HV, 67.6 mpg: So 46.8 miles on 0.91 gallons, or 51.4 mpg
    8/23: 53.0 miles, 79% HV, 67.7 mpg: So 41.9 miles on 0.78 gallons, or 53.7 mpg
    8/22-8/21 I don't see any whole-day stats.
    8/20: 53.5 miles, 77% HV, 71.3 mpg: So 41.2 miles on 0.75 gallons, or 54.9 mpg
    8/19: 100% HV, 58 mpg overall.

Seems like a decent sample, even if it's perhaps not exact.

7. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    8/21 and 8/22 did have some PHV driving, a good portion of it pure EV. You're right, I probably did omit some data, but those days I wasn't keeping track as some of it was "accelerate as hard as I can on battery", or just tooling around at constant speeds.

8/19 was 47.1 miles for the first half, add 4 miles for lunch, and then ~23 miles for the trip home. 74 miles for the day give or take.