1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Q about Toyota touch-up paint

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by UltraJetRefill, Jun 15, 2018.

1. UltraJetRefill

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I managed to put a little ding in the wing on the hatch, so I bought some touch-up paint from the dealer. It says use a clear coat. I called the dealer and they said they only sell colors, not any Toyota brand clear coat. It's only a 1-mm diameter spot on the wing, so I'm considering just using the paint only.

Does anyone know if Toyota actually makes a clear coat, and the parts guy was wrong?

BTW, it was from a new carport that's lower than the old one. I opened the hatch not thinking, and kapow! Lesson learned. NASA and SpaceX could probably save money by just launching satellites sitting on top of Prius hatches.

Here is the bottle, since other threads I've read mention something about the paint and clear coat being in one pen. This seems to be color only.

And always remember: Shake! Shake!

20180615_104303.jpg
    20180615_104356.jpg

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A quick google search leads me to the fact that Toyota does indeed make a touch up sized clear coat.
    It's available.

I have used touch up paint on all my vehicles. And I admit, given that I use the touch up paint on such small spots, I have never bothered with adding the clear coat layer.
    Maybe I should, it might help. But I just never have. I keep an eye on where I know I've applied the paint, and the worst case scenario seems to be that eventually I have to re-apply.

I'd be curious as to other peoples experience. I've just been to lazy to buy the clear coat, and too lazy to worry about applying it.

alanclarkeau and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For small bits like yours - indeed anything small enough for a touch-up pack, I've never bothered with clear coat. In a pale silver, I suspect you'll barely notice it.

And yes, I watch for low hanging stuff before I open my hatch now - hit it twice - in a mate's carport and on a pipe in an underground carpark - but can't see any damage.