1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Q: Best way to approach a red light or stop sign

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by j.e.f.f, Jul 20, 2010.

1. j.e.f.f

j.e.f.f New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi folks

When I can see a red light or a stop sign up ahead, and I know I'm going to have to come to a full stop, is it better to glide all the way up to when I am about to apply the brake, or should I just let the car coast as I approach (ie: not touching the pedals, generators on) and let the generator drag gradually slow the car so that I brake lighter?

I suppose there could be different answers to this, so I'm looking first to figure out which is better for fuel economy, and which is better for wear and tear on the car.

Thx!

2. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    For both fuel economy and brake wear: Since you know you must stop, go to full regen (no throttle) as soon as you realize the need to stop. This will maximize regen and minimize brake use. Then, if that is not enough, brake within the regen region of HSI to come to a smooth stop. Avoid braking harder later, since that will involve more friction braking.

2 people like this.
  3. j.e.f.f

j.e.f.f New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cheers! Thanks for the quick reply. What is the "region of HSI?" Couldn't find that in the glossary.

4. rcf@eventide.com

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think that's two separate cases.

For the STOP sign, where you will definitely have to stop, I recommend gentle braking for the entire slow-down period. The more time you spend at high speed, the more energy gets dissipated in atmospheric friction and the less you can dump into your batteries. A second order effect: Battery charging is somewhat more efficient when done for a longer period at a lower current. Thus long, gentle braking also benefits you that way. Electrodynamic braking shouldn't cause significant "wear and tear" as mechanical braking does, so again this suggests gentle braking at the beginning of the period rather than heavier braking nearer the end.

With the traffic light scenario, if you're certain that it will remain red long enough, then it's the same as the STOP sign. But if you can time the light (experience, GPS, etc.), then you should try to arrive at the light with maximum kinetic energy, i.e., going as fast as possible. Given the uncertainty of the time the light will change and how long it will take cars in front of you to accelerate, this can be something of a gamble. In general, if I don't know when the light will go green, I try to maintain maximum speed consistent with being able to stop without scaring anyone in front of or behind me.

Ask a simple question, you get a pageant.

Richard

2 people like this.
  5. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    "regen region" is the area to the left of the ECO area. You know, when the bar goes to the left instead of the right when you lift fully off the throttle.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    rcf hit on the stoplight scenario. The best case is to not stop at all.

I typically drive the same route every day to and from work. For that reason, I have memorized all the stop lights and the various situations that arise (I know it sounds nerdy but I've driven them ~250 times per year for the last six years). I watch for the follow (signal patterns are regional):
    - oncoming cars waiting to turn left. My light will not turn green until they are all through.
    - cars going my way waiting to turn left. if there are no oncoming turners, we will get the green sooner.
    - the front of a line of cars coming my way. They just came from a stoplight. Their distance from the light corresponds to the green light's duration and the amount of time you have left.

When I can, I count the number of cars stopped in front of me. I anticipate two seconds per car. This means that if there are five cars, the last car will start moving between eight and ten seconds after the light turns green. If I'm on his butt before then I will need to stop.

AS ALWAYS, the speed at which I approach a stop sign and stop light is primarily determined by the cars behind me. Mileage strategies should always be your third objective behind safety and courtesy.

7. j.e.f.f

j.e.f.f New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think my MFD display is different than yours. Would this be the same as when the arrows turn greeny-blue to show that I am in regen mode?

8. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    sorry, I didn't notice you were in a gen2. I'm in a gen3. For your car, you want the mfd to show NO ARROWS for a glide.

You can see the process detailed in various threads here, or see xcel's article on hypermiling the gen2 over at cleanmpg.com

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    For a Gen2, the modes are explained on this page: Prius Models Page

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    While generally correct, at light regen levels the Prius recovers less energy. The charging system is non-linear, and seems to require a certain amount of overhead before charge goes into the battery. Very light braking causes a larger percentage of the recovered energy to be wasted as overhead. In addition, regeneration is always less efficient than coasting. Because of this, generally the most efficient way to approach a stop is the following:

1) Glide (no regen or thrust). Gliding directly uses the car's kinetic energy, avoiding conversion losses.

2) If you have to brake, brake a bit more aggressively at the end instead of very light regeneration for a prolonged period. This is a bit tricky because you want to avoid friction braking and high battery temperatures, both of which waste energy. Finding the sweet spot in between is the trick.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  11. j.e.f.f

j.e.f.f New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How do I know when the friction brake has engaged vs. the regen brake? Sometimes when I bring the car to a full stop, I can feel the brakes "grab" a bit more right before the car comes to a stop. Is this friction brake engaging?

I'm also contemplating getting a ScanGauge, so would this be something I can measure using the gauge?

12. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The grab before the full stop is the transition to friction braking. At higher speeds it is very hard to tell when a combination of regeneration and friction braking is occurring. I'm not a hypermiler, so I use a simple "middle of the road" approach and brake just a bit, as opposed to only simulated engine drag.

As for instrumentation, I know of one PC member who wired his brake control system to collect hard information about friction braking. As for what you can do with ScanGauge, I'll leave that for one of the ScanGauge users.

Tom

13. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    At very low speed (< 7 MPH IIRC) the car uses pure friction brake.

ScanGauge can show the regen current and IIRC 60 Amp is the max optimal regen current.

As others already said safety first. If we get into an accident then all the hypermile effort just goes down the drain.

Good luck! :)

14. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    For the benefit of newcomers who are not afraid of information overload: "No arrow glide" actually consumes some small amount of energy from the HV battery (a few amperes depending on speed) so there is still some small conversion losses. This may be the reason why some hypermilers use "neutral glide" in some occasions. :)

15. Robertzerosmog

Robertzerosmog New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In China, everybody seems to put the car into neutral or even turn the car off when going downhill or coming to a stop. It seems silly but one guy told me it saves him a lot of gas. I suppose if you did it with the Prius...